Gebirgsjäger Platoon TO&E?

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Truscott Trotter

Re: Gebirgsjäger Platoon TO&E?

Post by Truscott Trotter »

I don't have the BTD Gerbs but I have most of their Heer figures and am very pleased with them.

Sigur

Post by Sigur »

Thanks, guys. That's what I wanted to hear. :D So far I was always very happy with the BTD ranges, but I heard some are done by other sculptors and may vary in quality, so I'm never sure when ordering a new range.

@Küstenjäger/Macconermaoile: I got a few BAOR British from Britannia. Judging from the quality on those the MP44 Gebirgsjäger should be fine. Not perfect quality (compared to stuff like Elhiem minis), but close enough and Britannia Models (I think the guy's name is Grubby?) are great people to deal with.

Seret

Post by Seret »

Macconermaoile wrote: Spl rule for Gebirgsjagers = terrain treated as one less difficulty. ?
Any thoughts ?
I used to do a bit of mountaineering when I was younger. I'm not sure knowing how to set up a belay has improved the speed I can get across a swamp!

The kind of skills and equipment that mountain troops have will affect their strategic mobility (eg: the ability to move through mountains without leaving all your artillery behind) but would rarely make a difference in a skirmish game outside of special scenarios.

Sigur

Post by Sigur »

Yar, I'm not a fan of platoon specific special rules either. Gets too gamey without much foundation for my liking.

Sigur

Post by Sigur »

I received my Gebirgsjäger minis on Monday. They're mighty pretty and the minis look perfectly right to me. :) (no tornisters, just belts, snow goggles, some climbing gear, correct shoes and caps, ...)

andysyk

Post by andysyk »

http://usacac.army.mil/cac2/CGSC/CARL/n ... 44GQAV.pdf

Here you go.

I have just found out this was only a study and never actually used.

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Sigur wrote:I received my Gebirgsjäger minis on Monday. They're mighty pretty and the minis look perfectly right to me. :) (no tornisters, just belts, snow goggles, some climbing gear, correct shoes and caps, ...)
Excellent Sigur glad they turned out OK
I have been contemplating a section of them just to paint them up

Cassill

Post by Cassill »

Sorry to exhume this thread but I had some questions, hope anyone can help!

Reading a little it seems mountain troops were used in mountainous regions - der! It seems as though they were also just thrown in wherever! In those cases, I have also read that they would have received some heavier support. Panzerjagers and Stugs maybe...Just wondering if anyone can confirm?

Also does anyone know if they used/issued Panzerfausts or Panzerschreks?
See my blog for all things table top and board gaming https://curiajulia.blogspot.com/

Seret

Post by Seret »

The Germans weren't shy about equipping their light infantry divisions with motorised or even armoured support.

I've only looked into Gebirgsjager in Italy with any detail, but their 1944 TO&E included:
  1. SFMGs, 80mm and 120mm mortars and pioneers including flame throwers
  2. leIG18 75mm infantry guns
  3. Pak36 AT guns (presumably with stielgranate)
  4. Pak 40
  5. Panzerfaust and panzerschreck
  6. Several calibres of artillery 75-150mm
  7. 20mm flak
  8. StuGs
  9. Marder II and III
They still had bicycle troops, too. All up they were well enough equipped to make a decent force for CoC. All you're really missing is tanks, but you've got StuGs which are pretty much equivalent to a PzIV anyway. In Italy those could have been either StuG III or StuG M42 (Italian Semovente 75/18 or 75/34).
Last edited by Seret on Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

gsymko

Post by gsymko »

Hi Guys,

This is near and dear to my heart. I have been working on early Gebirgjagers. for 39 Poland and 40 Narvick I use this:

HQ SL with SMG 50mm mortar

4 sections each:

JL (39) K98 (40) SMG

Rifle team 6 K98
LMG team 3

I just don't know how to rate them some sources suggest elite other not. They didn't do very well at Narvick. Also are they aggressive? Maybe terrain abilities not sure. Supports are limited to PAK 36, mountain gun, MMG, antitank rifle and the usual light stuff like medic etc.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

PS we have played these against Poles , British and French. Sometimes they win sometimes they lose