Gebirgsjäger Platoon TO&E?

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Sigur

Gebirgsjäger Platoon TO&E?

Post by Sigur »

I'm getting dangerously close to actually finishing my first German Platoon, think of replacing my plastic German infantry with either metal or maybe metal Panzergrenadiers. So it's the perfect time to get me a platoon of Gebirgsjäger, right? I have a problem.

ANYWAY, does anyone of you have a platoon TO&E for Gebirgsjäger,ca.1944? I couldn't find anything (apart from it being kinda along the lines of regular infantry platoons, one squad lmg and all), instead I found slightly contradicting thing too, some saying that they got larger quantities of sub-machine guns, others implying that they didn't and so on.

Does anyone have a complete TO&E or some info on that?

cheers. :)

Seret

Re: Gebirgsjäger Platoon TO&E?

Post by Seret »

I've struck the same problem. There is KstN 131 from '43 and 132 from '44, but this shows a platoon equipped largely with "Machine pistols", which would likely be a mix of MP40 and StG44. The German army was moving towards having whole platoons armed with the StG44 for at least one platoon per company, but it seems highly unlikely that Gebis were any further along with this than other units. Photos certainly show plenty of K98s used very late in the war for Gebis in Italy.

In the absence of harder info I've simply cribbed across from the mid-war Jager lists, so you get something like:

Command dice: 5
Force rating: regular -1

HQ:
SL + SMG

Squads 1 to 3:
JL + SMG
One Panzerfaust

MG team
LMG + 2 crew
1 rifleman

Rifle team
5 riflemen
1 man with SMG

The MG team could be 3 crew if you prefer, it doesn't change the rating. Moving into 1944 you could argue that they should be getting more StG44s, in which case increase the rating by +1 for every 6 assault rifles you add. Loads of MP40s seems unlikely to me for a mountain unit, as engagement ranges would be long. The late war sturm zugs would work battling your way through the rubble of Germany, I can't see them being tactically that useful for light infantry in hilly terrain.

The main difference between Gebirgsjager and other German units is going to be your support list. Cut the tanks, half-tracks and sIG-33s, keep things like the leIG18, Marders and StuGs, biggest ATG they had was the Pak40. Light infantry, basically.

NTM

Post by NTM »

WW2 day by day has the 1941 Kstn

http://www.wwiidaybyday.com/

Platoon of 4 sections each with leader with SMG 7 riflemen 2 man lmg team and a pack animal leader with rifle. So pretty much the same as infantry with slightly differing support options.

Sigur

Post by Sigur »

Thanks muchly for all these infos!

@Seret: Looks about right. If anything I'd probably field my Gebirgsjäger in a way in that they fight not quite up in the mountains, but were thrown at the front where required. So this platoon looks pretty good. About the SMG question - this is exactly what I read as well: Some sources indicate heavy use of SMGs, at least on paper, but the Kar98 seems to have been much more widely used until the end of the war. Good thing too, as the models I ordered are all the usual "3 NCO with SMG, lots of riflemen, 3 lmg teams of 2".

Maybe I'll keep the one SMG gunner in the rifle group, just so they're a little different. The Jäger list you posted suits me fine, many thanks! As for the MP44s - Maybe they could be worked in as a support choice.

@NTM: Thanks very much for the link! Seems like the site is run by a fellow countryman too. :D

Macconermaoile

Post by Macconermaoile »

The Gebirgsjäger platoon was theoretically organized as a six man command team (Platoon leader with SMG and pistol, 2 radio operators with SMG's, 2 stretcher bearers with pistols and 1 medic with a pistol). The three 10-man infantry squads would consist of an NCO with SMG, six soldiers with SMG's, two riflemen and a gunner with LMG and pistol.
The above was probably never achieved. I assume a cmd team of 3 would be reasonable with sections of 9, and 4 smgs per section would be doing well.
Spl rule for Gebirgsjagers = terrain treated as one less difficulty. ?
Any thoughts ?
Tom.

The above is an old post of mine. There is no clear answer to this question. Another problem is I have not found any 20mm Gebirgsjager with mp44s.
I have a lot of interest in the Nord division in Nordwind in 1945. Support could include
Hetzer with junior leader, captured sherman with junior leader, 50mm AT guns.
Check out the pdf on the end of this page = http://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=3650

Sigur

Post by Sigur »

Cheers, Macconermaoile. I'm still a bit on the fence about adding all these MP40s.

"Command teams" in Chain of Command are abstracted into the officers all the time anyway. Actually, at the moment I'm mostly inclined to use the regular German infantry list to keep things simple. :D

Macconermaoile

Post by Macconermaoile »

I ended up with Platoon HQ = 1 senior leader mp40 + 1 panzerschreck team. (2)
3 Sections = 1 junior leader mp40 + Panzerfaust.
8 jagers = 1 mg42, 1 mp40 + 6 rifles.
I also have a support option of an extra mp40 per section.

Sigur

Post by Sigur »

Looks alright. I have to say that I'm pretty fond of the idea of a set number of extra SMG as a support choice.

Ho-hum, maybe I should order some extra Gebirgsjäger with MP40. So far I'll stick with the 20-something riflemen, 3 LMG teams of two each, officer with MP40 and 3 NCOs with MP40. :) Let's see if the models are good anyway. Anyone of you got the Black Tree Gebirgsjäger models?

Kustenjaeger

Post by Kustenjaeger »

Macconermaoile wrote: ... Another problem is I have not found any 20mm Gebirgsjager with mp44s.
I have a lot of interest in the Nord division in Nordwind in 1945. Support could include
Hetzer with junior leader, captured sherman with junior leader, 50mm AT guns.
Check out the pdf on the end of this page = http://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=3650
I note Britannia have an MP44 figure. No idea how good it is though.

Regards

Edward

aussietankguy

Post by aussietankguy »

Sigur: BTD Gerbis models are gorgeous.