US armored rifle confusion

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Neil Todd

US armored rifle confusion

Post by Neil Todd »

Hi all,

I managed to muddle my way through my first game with my US armored rifles last night. I have a few questions, I have searched the forum and found an old thread on the subject but it did not seem to completely answer everything for me.
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1238

The head quarters Squad and Squads one and two are each made up of one team unless you swap out guys to make Bazooka teams.

I forgot to select any Bazooka when I wrote down my support choices so I was planning on deploying on a 1/3 and activating on 1's and 3/4. As they were listed as teams. In the end after reading the FAQ we decided to deploy on a 2/3 and activate on 2's and 3/4.

So if I select a Bazooka and therefore the squad now has two teams I deploy on a 2/3 and can activate either team on a 1 and the squad on a 2/3/4 (depending on SL proximity)?
I now suffer a shock per team if I double and my large rifle team only takes rolls for 1 hit from barrages?

I am pretty sure we got that right the next question I am less convinced on though.

My 60mm Mortar is a Squad with no JL so it can only deploy on a 2 and fire on a 2/4. It also suffers two hits from barrages? Note this would be the same for US Para's
If I take another 60mm mortar as a support choice though it is only a team and would deploy on a 1 and activate on a 1/4. It also only suffers on hit from Barrages?
I find the 60mm Mortar bit very confusing and any advice would be appreciated, I would also like confirmation that we got the grunts part correct.

Thanks for your time

Truscott Trotter

Re: US armored rifle confusion

Post by Truscott Trotter »

I would say either the Bazooka stays as part of the squad and its still one team, or they become (and this is the way I have played it so could well be wrong) a separate AT weapons team as per
9.3.1 ANTI‐TANK WEAPONS TEAM
A dedicated weapon Team may move or fire in the same way as any other Team. It may be
activated on a roll of 1 on the Command Dice or by a Leader using one Command Initiative.

The same with the 60mm mortar - it is not really a squad it is a inf weapons team - I am sure there was a thread on this recently?
Not sure what you mean by the "takes rolls for 1 hit from barrages"?
They would activate on a 1 or a CI from a SL

Neil Todd

Post by Neil Todd »

Hi TT

From the FAQ
Whilst the norm for unit organisation in the Second World War was to break sections and squads down into  smaller Teams to facilitate fire and movement, some nations simply did not have such sophisticated tactical  doctrines.  Good examples here are the Poles and the Soviets, both of whom considered the squad to be  the smallest tactical unit.      Where these sections or squads are fielded the following rules should apply: 
 They suffer only one Shock when moving 'at the double'   They require only one Team entrenchment for the entire Squad or Section     They roll twice for hits from barrages   They activate only on a Command Dice roll of 2.  Any sub‐Teams, such as Scouts, which are split  off from the Squad will activate on a Command Dice roll of 1.     The whole squad may be placed on Overwatch by their Leaders using one Command Initiati
So A US Mortar in a Squad takes two rolls to hit from Barrages while one chosen as a support choice only takes one.
On The Bazooka thing I think the HQ squad on stays attached to the HQ squad while the Squads one and two ones can remain with their squads or attached out. That is my take and in either case they form separate teams.

Truscott Trotter

Hi Neil
I think that the one team errata is to deal with large teams such as the Soviet section.
I would take only one hit on a mortar team no matter how it is chosen
and I do not think that bazookas stay as part of a section any more than Panzershrecks do
the terms squad for US HQ and mortar lists is a misnomer, same as LMG squad for the Japanese list that contains rifles.
Unfortunately there is some lack of clarity in the list terminology and the rewrites are a fair way off (as Rich appears to be going in chronological order) though I am about to put in a lengthy and detailed submission on the Soviet :)
I would look to the main rules definition rather than the titles used in the lists to divide up the men

Neil Todd

Post by Neil Todd »

That makes a lot of sense TT, I found the thread about the Mortars you mentioned

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2293&start=20

Truscott Trotter

Don't worry Neil I will try not to make a habit of it :D

exchook

Post by exchook »

The rifleman that are replaced by a bazooka team can remain with the squad if they wish or they can deploy separately as a AT team.

The flexability is with you the commander to decide how best to use the men in your platoon.

The German Panzerschrek team however, is a separate AT team with two dedicated men to man the weapon.

Lightbulb

Post by Lightbulb »

Don't forget you can also make new teams in the game using a Command Initiative of a leader.

PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Neil as a fellow confused owner of an armored infantry platoon, you have my sympathy. I think Truscott is right though and we are being confused by US terminology. Use them as they are defined in the rules, it makes more sense. But it is worth saying that initially they do deploy as large rifle squads, although I always keep one (minimum) bazooka team off board in case of armour. I have been tempted to bring on another mortar team as support but haven't got round to painting one yet as I think two mortars could be quite effective, any comments?

robbie7

Post by robbie7 »

Paul, I prefer you to have another mortar rather than that rampaging Sherman which my Italians pinged bullets off. The mortar is actually one of the best options on US list 3. Likely to do more damage than the sniper and can fire for much longer than the flamethrower.