stopping the runs

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

sackatatties

Re: stopping the runs

Post by sackatatties »

pedivere wrote: or game BA.... 8-)
Yeah tell that to my Japanese in the last local tourney when the Italian player I was facing had 3 dice left in the bag and I had 9. I needed one japanese die to appear to win the game before he drew all of his 3 remaining ones. Guess what happened :(

I suppose it served me right for reverting to bad habits.

Seret

Post by Seret »

I agree it's more of a problem for the forces with six dice. On a double six they'll still have four dice, which won't leave them struggling to activate everything most of the time. So they have a one third better chance of getting consecutive phases and are better able to capitalise when it happens.

I've been on the receiving end of loads of it lately, as my regular opponent uses British Paras. They're insanely tough.

The flying Buffalo

Post by The flying Buffalo »

I must be the odd one out, we rarely get two consecutive turns, I don't think we've ever had a three!
Our turns last forever, one turn will last 20+ phases. And an entire game normally has one or two turns in the whole thing. I'm not talking a quick beer night figh here, it's full day fights.
Nobody gets handfuls of six's and fives are nearly as rare as rocking horse poop. Chain of command dice are a rare thing on a Sunday.
But having read all these post's I might have to return the dice to the shop as faulty.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Seret wrote:I agree it's more of a problem for the forces with six dice. On a double six they'll still have four dice, which won't leave them struggling to activate everything most of the time. So they have a one third better chance of getting consecutive phases and are better able to capitalise when it happens.

I've been on the receiving end of loads of it lately, as my regular opponent uses British Paras. They're insanely tough.
Yes it is more problematic when facing elites.

Why not try to persuade him that there is more kudos to be won if he plays them as Regulars as Rich has done for Kampfgruppe Von Lucke? I'm sure he'll jump at the chance. :D
John

Seret

Post by Seret »

The flying Buffalo wrote:Nobody gets handfuls of six's
The same game I got battered by several runs of multiple enemy turns a rolled a clutch of five sixes. Got an extra point of force morale out of it.

We've been playing the "5 Platoon" Arnhem campaign, so choice of forces is fixed. We will be doing Kampffgruppe von Luck though, it'll be interesting to compare the nerfed Paras. They're still elites, but the five command five should take some of the edge off them for sure.

nikjen66

Post by nikjen66 »

Well you see the problem here chaps is that all wargames are a game of chance. We can mitigate as much as we like but you can't rely on the dice ever, ever.... All our best laid plans turn to ashes because of the dice.... Nurse!

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

nikjen66 wrote:Well you see the problem here chaps is that all wargames are a game of chance. We can mitigate as much as we like but you can't rely on the dice ever, ever.... All our best laid plans turn to ashes because of the dice.... Nurse!
I have a cunning plan to avoid that. :twisted:
Just roll blank dice and make up the numbers you want! I'm sure that will work, though the way we play we will end up ceaselessly debating what would be the best combination in the circumstances. :D :D