stopping the runs

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

aphillathehun

stopping the runs

Post by aphillathehun »

We sometimes find it annoying when one side gets a bunch of consecutive turns. We're toying with an idea to reduce the number of command dice rolled by one on turns when you go twice (to keep it from going to three times). Anyone else tried anything like this?

The flying Buffalo

Re: stopping the runs

Post by The flying Buffalo »

Consecutive turns are the exeption rather than the norm in our games, and our players just love that perfectly timed extra turn!
Because you use at least two dice to get the extra turn it's more like one and a half turns anyway.

Regards
Mark

aphillathehun

Post by aphillathehun »

I like two in a row myself. When it goes to three, four, or five even, it can get pretty hairy.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Yes it can get hairy if your opponent gets 4 or 5 phases in a row, I have both done it and seen it done. While it sticks in your memory it is such a rare event I do not think it is worth trying to restrict it.
I certainly wouldn't want to restrict the possibility of 3 phases, to me that's just a good run of initiative.
John

The flying Buffalo

Post by The flying Buffalo »

It also causes you to think tactically, you can't just leave big gaps or exposed units, knowing you will automatically go again in a min. You have to try to think ahead and I do like that. No matter how many times my thinking ahead goes awry.

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Most we had was 7 turns out of 9.
We often get at least one run of 3 or several runs of 2 in a game but that's just part of CoC really and its up to you how well you exploit those extra turns.
The impact is also effected by what the remaining dice are - for example if they are 5's and 1's its not so bad but if the others are 3 and 4's its a bad turn for the opponent.
I suggested something to Rich along the lines of the rule where your roll 4 six's in one turn .
My thought was if you got 3 (or maybe 4)phases in a row, you roll on the random events table and the next phase passes to your opponent - maybe you get a COC die as well?

stecal

Post by stecal »

I use a house rule. Everytime your opponent gets 2 or more sixes and gets another turn you immediately add one pip to your CoC die. Gives the poor guy a greater chance to react with a CoC dice.
Stephen

Truscott Trotter

Hmm could combine that with making the guy who rolls double six has to scull their drink

Seret

Post by Seret »

Did have an opponent get about ten phases to my one recently. Pretty much ended the game then and there as he was able to put tons of hits and shock on my troops without me being able to do anything. Not really fun IMO.

Truscott Trotter

Maybe you should be able to use a COC dice to force the next turn to be yours despite the dice roll?