Patrol Phase tips and sneaky tricks?

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Seret

Patrol Phase tips and sneaky tricks?

Post by Seret » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:04 pm

I've been trying to collect some thoughts about the patrol phase and thought I'd put it out to the hive mind. What do you think the crucial ideas for a novice to pick up and what tricks do you use as an expert to outfox your opponent?

Some of the thoughts bouncing around my head:
  1. 3 vs 4 patrol markers?
  2. Sneaking around the flank, when should you have a go?
  3. Markers in extended order or grouped together? Bit of both?

topi

Re: Patrol Phase tips and sneaky tricks?

Post by topi » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:25 pm

From my experience:
3 markers is usually much faster for attack and grabbing important terrain. Plus you get a quicker lockdown, if needed. For the defender, 4 markers is nice for covering as much of flanks as possible.
Fully extended order is usually very hard to move, as the 12" rule keeps hitting you. So better start at least somewhat grouped together. Plus keeping markers together makes surprise flanking moves much easier.

My decision process usually goes like this:
- Check what is the victory condition. Penetrating the enemy line with 1 section needs very different plan than grinding enemy's morale down. Friendly terrain for first might be hostile to the second.
- Identify pieces of terrain enemy may not have
- Identify terrain I'd like to have
- Identify potential killing grounds
- Does either flank have cover that enemy might use?
- Based on these, plan for main baseline I need to have and line I might be able to have.
- When moving markers, enemy is free to advance on open flanks, as that often will result in too advanced, hard to hold JOPS. Flanks with cover must be dealt with.
- Try to keep at least one marker in a position where it can switch to other flank. (So advance 2 up, 1 down or 3 up, 1 down.) If enemy does something very sneaky, just go for a fast lockdown to salvage the situation.
- As an attacker, trying the switch the axis of play will often confuse the defender, as attack comes from "unexpected" direction. So if attack is N->S, try turning W->E or E->W.
- When lockdown is imminent, start thinking about small moves that change the sector enemy may deploy to. He might have gotten the terrain he wants, but I might still be able to force the sector so that he cannot use it.

Seret

Post by Seret » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:37 pm

topi wrote:From my experience:
3 markers is usually much faster for attack and grabbing important terrain. Plus you get a quicker lockdown, if needed. For the defender, 4 markers is nice for covering as much of flanks as possible.
See now I was actually thinking the exact opposite. Three markers lends itself to a defensive one-up deployment, based on rushing the three markers to grab a defendable terrain feature quickly, and it doesn't matter that the other two markers are stuck within 12" of that, since you're probably going to set their JoPs up really deep anyway. Get locked quickly and hopefully before the attack has made much ground.
Fully extended order is usually very hard to move, as the 12" rule keeps hitting you.
By my calculations maximum lateral spacing in extended order is only 8½" with 8½" jumps forward if you don't want to lose width, and as you say your ability to move laterally is pretty poor.
Plus keeping markers together makes surprise flanking moves much easier.
I've always leant towards keeping mine grouped, but I've found you've got to watch yourself against an opponent already in line. Since it costs movement to expand to meet the enemy you do sacrifice some forwards movement. You get flexibility at the cost of speed. I'm now favouring a sort of hybrid approach, like two groups of two markers.

Definitely agree with your checklist though, very comprehensive!

topi

Post by topi » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:06 pm

Seret wrote:
topi wrote:From my experience:
See now I was actually thinking the exact opposite. Three markers lends itself to a defensive one-up deployment, based on rushing the three markers to grab a defendable terrain feature quickly, and it doesn't matter that the other two markers are stuck within 12" of that, since you're probably going to set their JoPs up really deep anyway. Get locked quickly and hopefully before the attack has made much ground.
That is a good point, too. If you need to grab something quickly for defense, 3 markers is better.

rim66

Post by rim66 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:31 pm

Just a few thoughts based on my experiences:

1. 3 markers move faster than 4 so you can advance more quickly, but you are on a narrower front and so risk leaving an approach route for your enemy.

2. Ground is EVERYTHING! When I look at a table I am looking for fields of fire, avenues of approach (covered), obstacles and the like. Decide what ground is key (important) and what is vital (essential) and work out what you need to dominate in respect of those areas.

3. Remember to press ahead of where you want to be - you must be at least 6" back but can be much more, so no stopping on the edge of the wood, press out and forward.

4. Flanks - when and if there is a chance! If your enemy is narrow, look for the gaps.

5. Take care when placing a marker - think, if this is locked now, where is my JOP?

Hope that helps!

Kind regards,

Richard/Monty Lardo

Qman

Post by Qman » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:54 pm

All good advice. the only other bit of advice is to throw cheap beer into their face and whilst blinded move their markers back....

siggian

Post by siggian » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:05 pm

If you go with 4 markers, pair them up for maximum flexibility. The danger is that when one of the pairs is locked down, the other marker in that pair then has limited range. The reverse is also true, if your opponent is pairing up markers, try to lock down one in each pair quickly. Your opponent will be left with limited range of movement.

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:52 pm

Nice but according to the rules I have you lock all markers within 12" so both markers if stacked will me locked if one is.
p 12
When a marker reaches a point 12” from one or more enemy Patrol Markers, it will immediately cease movement even if it has not moved the full 12” available to it. This Marker and the enemy’s Marker (or Markers if more than one is affected)

siggian

Post by siggian » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:47 am

By pair them up, I mean that they work in tandem, not stacked on top of each other.

Neil Todd

Post by Neil Todd » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:41 am

siggian wrote:By pair them up, I mean that they work in tandem, not stacked on top of each other.
The four markers still need to form a continuous chain though so pairing up doesn't seem to work for me