Smoke Grenades

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Rich H

Re: Smoke Grenades

Post by Rich H »

Truscott Trotter wrote:Rather than limit the number of smoke grenades (I hate bookkeeping) I would make them a bit more 'realistic.'
I would have them add +1 to the cover level rather than completely block LOS. This represents the random effect of wind on such a small smoke source and the limited nature of the smoke.
Also I would limit it to 1D6 for throwing it as the reports I read all mention its use on covering withdrawals not advances - that's what mortar and artillery smoke was for
I would apply the same for tank smoke dischargers or in the case of Soviet tanks they used a smoke maker - it pumped diesel into the engine to make lots of smoke.
How about you can throw one grenade and get better cover (Combine with tactical for hard cover) or throw ALL your grenades to make a smoke screen?

Peter

Post by Peter »

Or maybe for 'normal' usage we can assume that 'tactical' includes the use of smoke grenades? Since you can't throw and be tactical...

I've no great knowledge of tactics. If there were units/nations which did use them in abundance, who were they? I guess combat engineers might have them available, as a general rule. Anyone else?

Peter

Seret

Post by Seret »

Peter wrote: I've no great knowledge of tactics. If there were units/nations which did use them in abundance, who were they? I guess combat engineers might have them available, as a general rule. Anyone else?
Standard section attack drills for Germans included use smoke grenades or smoke pots in the final assault. Not sure how much it was really done though, I was always taught that advancing through a smokescreen was a great way to get shot. You're silhouetted against the smoke before you can see out yourself.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

My understanding is that they were usually only really useful against a fixed enemy position like an MG nest were you could use the smoke grenades to temporarily blind your opponent while you moved to attack the position from the flank. Attacking through the smoke directly was generally a disaster for the reasons Seret says - the enemy would see your silhouette before you could see him.
John

Rich H

Post by Rich H »

With the ground scale a 2" smoke cloud is about right then... Enough to blind a gun or reduce viz arc but not enough to cover a section.

hedgehobbit

Post by hedgehobbit »

Seret wrote:Standard section attack drills for Germans included use smoke grenades or smoke pots in the final assault. Not sure how much it was really done though, I was always taught that advancing through a smokescreen was a great way to get shot.
Last year I tried digging through the US field manuals to find anything about smoke grenades. The only thing I found was in FM 23-30 where the only grenades recommended for screening were the WP grenade and the glass M1 Frangible grenade. The latter being obsolete by 1944. All those colored M18 grenades were meant for signaling only.

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

In action vid - would not block LOS IMHO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzyzkZMQ5oU
Interesting modern info on grenade types and uses
http://www.umass.edu/armyrotc/Training/grenades.pdf
Soviet grenades info including smoke - Soviets are NEVER allowed smoke of any king in wargames rules
http://www.lonesentry.com/articles/sovg ... index.html
Interesting article on use of smoke in the attack
http://www.lonesentry.com/articles/jp_smoke/index.html