Smoke Grenades

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Fettster

Smoke Grenades

Post by Fettster »

Who should have these and how many?

I know it lists the German panzerjager team having them, but who else, and should there be a limit, or is it just the same as normal grenades, two phases of chucking them and you run out?
Kind Regards

Leigh

Seret

Re: Smoke Grenades

Post by Seret »

We haven't felt any need to restrict their use. The Brits don't need 'em, they spend half the game filling the board up with smoke from their 2" mortars. The Germans should definitely have them, but I find I only use them occasionally. Handy for screening a dash across a patch of open ground, but not much else.

Having said that, they're probably a bit more effective than they should be. Having used the real things I'd say they're pretty poor at blocking LOS, you need to chuck a lot of them to get much of an effect. I suspect they were used more for signalling than obscuration.

Rich H

Post by Rich H »

But you can't see me...

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Personally I tend not to allow them since I am not convinced they were as effective at creating a general localised smoke screen as the rules would allow. I see them more as a signalling tool or perhaps used for a specific scenario situation like an attack on a bunker or MG nest.
I am pretty sure that Big Rich suggested on another thread that they should probably be limited to no more than 2 per section in those nationalities which had them.
John

topi

Post by topi »

Hi,

Yes, I think that discussion was on the yahoo list. Max 2 per section, can be pooled together for one section.

m1kel

Post by m1kel »

I agree with john on this. Reading reports they provided very little cover and only burned for a very short time. In fact troops were often specifically ordered not to use them because one squads smoke often covered another's field of fire. We don't use them in our games.
Mike

Seret

Post by Seret »

Tactical doctrine for some nations did include liberal use of them, so I think they should be in the game.

Regarding effectiveness, I haven't chucked one since the mid 90s, but if the amount of screening you got from one was the result of 50 years of development then the 1940s ones must have been fairly underwhelming.

hedgehobbit

Post by hedgehobbit »

We use a random table to determine the quantity of the various secondary weapons: smoke, AT grenades, rifle grenades, panzerfaust, etc. It works for us but isn't practical for having a table for every nationality and every time period.

Also, has there ever been official rules for white phosphorous? Something fairly common for US troops.

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Rather than limit the number of smoke grenades (I hate bookkeeping) I would make them a bit more 'realistic.'
I would have them add +1 to the cover level rather than completely block LOS. This represents the random effect of wind on such a small smoke source and the limited nature of the smoke.
Also I would limit it to 1D6 for throwing it as the reports I read all mention its use on covering withdrawals not advances - that's what mortar and artillery smoke was for
I would apply the same for tank smoke dischargers or in the case of Soviet tanks they used a smoke maker - it pumped diesel into the engine to make lots of smoke.

Seret

Post by Seret »

hedgehobbit wrote:
Also, has there ever been official rules for white phosphorous? Something fairly common for US troops.
No, not even for mortars. You can get smoke or frag, but not hybrids like WP, and there's nothing on mixed smoke/HE mortars either. If you want it you'll have to cook the rules up yourself.
Last edited by Seret on Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.