Ambush SPG tank killer

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Fuzzy

Ambush SPG tank killer

Post by Fuzzy »

More thoughts on our first couple of games...

In WWII tank killers like Stugs, SU152 etc.etc. would hide, camouflaged and wait for an enemy tank to come by, shoot it and then bug out quickly. As I read the rules, vehicles have to appear on the board edge and only AT guns or AT teams can perform an ambush. Tankkiller tanks therefore cannot ambush.

I guess I could put in a scenario specific rule that an SPG could deploy in substantial cover i.e. not behind a hedge (bocage would be a different story) and perform an ambush but once deployed they stay on the table.

What do you think?

Cheers
Fuzzy

Derek H

Re: Ambush SPG tank killer

Post by Derek H »

I have considered doing exactly that myself. I'd make the defender mark where the SPG was on a map at the start of the game.

But I wouldn't link it to the ambush mechanic, The SPG would deploy as normal, but in the pre-determined position, not at the edge of the table.
All the Lard News in one place - Lard Central http://www.netvibes.com/lardcentral
Pimping my blog - Dereks Wee Toys http://dereksweetoys.com/

Seret

Post by Seret »

I think it ought to cost the defender something to do this. If not a CoC die, then it should probably cost something on the support list. I don't think the ambush mechanic would really suit this, I'd have it work like an AT gun, where you can deploy it from a JoP. I'd also limit it to the defender in certain scenarios, you don't want vehicles deploying half way up the table all the time.

Deciding just which vehicles are eligible would be tricky. Maybe only those listed as either "small" or "low profile"?

Rich H

Post by Rich H »

Just allow Tanks to ambush in defence. If the defender has spent all their support on tanks then they will be lacking other support!
(You can't be attacking and setup ambushes with heavy vehicles)

But only allow them to fire the main gun at armoured targets when ambushing and they must remain on the table.

sid

Post by sid »

Is this really a big issue, with the range of Anti Tank/tank guns and the ability to deploy within 6" of a road. Any vehicle coming on has a 12" wide deployment zone with a gun hitting everything at effective. Yes SPG did ambush but not within 50 yards. The present rules do reflect an ambush of sorts. As this is an infantry game and a 6' tables is only 240 yards long then the SPG would be appearing within maybe 100 yards of infantry on table.

It would obviously be different in a scenario or campaign game, the Wild Card mechanism would be perfect to allow this kind of thing.

Rich H

Post by Rich H »

Good point on the ranges.

sid

Post by sid »

Also AT Guns CANNOT ambush. Support weapons cannot ambush, only come on via a JOP which admittedly can be a form of ambush.

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Q. How do you amush with a Sturmtiger?
A. Werry werry carefully :lol:

4thWelsh

Post by 4thWelsh »

There are many accounts of Allied tanks creeping along country lanes getting destroyed by enemy SPG's hidden in hedgerows just yards away. By the time the others reacted, the culprit had gone. I can't see any reason why the ambush rule can't be used. It adds more suspense and forces the attacker to be a bit more careful in his approach.

We had this in a recent game. My opponent marked the SP's position on a scrap of paper. He used a CoC dice, blew the ar*e off my Sherman and backed away behind a building. We found the whole thing very fair and it was a great game, which is what it's all about. Less nit picking and just get on with the game.

Schmitt

Post by Schmitt »

In some of the 29 Let's Go scenarios the krauts have a designated number off-board ap "shots" available. These are restricted to certain fields of fire on the board. Something similar may be best to simulate an armor ambush given the on table range issues.

Rob