Should kills also inflict shock?

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Fuzzy

Should kills also inflict shock?

Post by Fuzzy »

We had a fairly brutal game of CoC where there were a lot of kills but not much shock applied to the sections. The result was we had sections reduced to only a few men but because there was no shock they kept fighting. This does appear to be an anomaly.

On the one hand a kill means one less man in the section so an increased chance of becoming pinned or broken by subsequent shock, but shouldn't the fact that one of your chums has just bought it not cause shock to his mates?

Cheers
Fuzzy

Truscott Trotter

Re: Should kills also inflict shock?

Post by Truscott Trotter »

If you have a look at this previous post on this there were some good answers
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1887&hilit=Kills

Seret

Post by Seret »

Fuzzy wrote:This does appear to be an anomaly.
It is a bit. I think the most practical suggestion from that other thread was to also chalk up one shock every time you take a kill. This would however change the balance of the game, so you might need to tweak something in the other direction to avoid simply making all shooting more effective. The game could become too static if fire pinned enemy units more quickly.

Peter

Post by Peter »

"Kills" aren't just KIA's; could be someone just keeping their head down for the rest of the game or perhaps even - without the game going into that level of granularity - helping other casualties. It is represented by a permanent reduction in combat ability for the team. So yes, a few men might keep fighting, but that small group becomes more and more brittle. And the odds are that you will normally get shock along with the 'Kill' results.

Peter

Seret

Post by Seret »

Sure, but IMO anything that's serious enough to make a member of the team ineffective should rattle his comrades.

Personally this quirk of the rules was my only real wtf moment when I first read them. However since then I've come to the conclusion that it doesn't affect the game often enough to be worth messing about with such a fundamental bit of game balance.

Rich H

Post by Rich H »

We thought the same but shock is a near miss where as kill is out of action. The out of action acts as a pin as there is one less man to absorb it so it works out fine IMHO.

Richard
Site Admin

Post by Richard »

Firstly I'd say that this is not a typical result. Shock is usually more likely than kills and consequently units normally break through shock as opposed to fighting to the death. However, it can certainly happen, reflecting unusual bravery in that action.

Secondly, it was something we did test at the outset and it was way too powerful. It has a huge effect on the gane balance. Remember, that kills do have a major effect on a unit, each death reduces the level at which that unit becomes pinned or breaks. For me that is entirely sufficient.

Rich

sid

Post by sid »

Looking back at the dozen or so games Ive played. The losing team on average loses about half a dozen men and everything else is shock or wounded leaders. That seems to me about right.

Paint it Pink

Post by Paint it Pink »

And remember what happens in one game is not statistically significant, in that in real life units have on occasion fought heroically.
Ashley
A writer of very little means.

sid

Post by sid »

Paint it Pink wrote:And remember what happens in one game is not statistically significant, in that in real life units have on occasion fought heroically.
Completely true, but when it happened it was so unusual enough it attracted comment and massive contemporary media coverage. Plus of course tea and medals.. ;)