Pacific Lists,

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Richard
Site Admin

Pacific Lists,

Post by Richard » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:50 am

Now the Special is released I am going to be spending the week updating all of the CoC lists and working on some new ones to see us through the middle war period. Specifically, I am interested in lists for the Pacific theatre, so USMC, Australians and similar. This is not a period I have ever gamed and my library is not extensive on the subject. I'd be very keen, consequently, to call on the group here for assistance in terms of recommending any reading material or, indeed, assisting with putting the list together.

Any volunteers?

Rich

aphillathehun

Re: Pacific Lists,

Post by aphillathehun » Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:20 pm

Awesome! I look forward to the USMC list and the Japanese SNLF list. Should be fun!

Are you open to suggestions for updates to the existing lists? There is a refinement in the SCW lists that seems to me would improve the game. The biggest one is the way mortars are handled in the SCW list. This seems far more realistic than what is in the main set:

"A Senior or Junior Leader may both activate and/or
spot for the Mortar Team, at a cost of one command
initiative point, if the Mortar Team is within their
command range. No other unit may spot for the
Mortar Team, which of course, can spot for itself."

I guess I'm not really sure that's for the lists or for an FAQ/Errata Update.

Another thing from the SCW lists that I wonder about. All the SCW guys get three dice for their "machinengewehr" capability if they have it but the Germans only get two in the WW2 lists. Not that I think the Germans need more dice typically but I noticed and wondered.

As to list suggestions, bayonet strength has some info on the USMC here (I'm sure you're already aware of it):
http://www.bayonetstrength.150m.com/Uni ... talion.htm

Nick B

Post by Nick B » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:10 pm

Rich,

Am I right in thinking Rich (Monty Lardo)has submitted mid/late war lists for the Far East Commonwealth forces? I'd be happy to help with these if any 2nd look needed.

Also I posted on the Yahoo about the use of Marmon Herringtons in Malaya - I think it got lost in a big string of posts on another subject - could you take a look as you are reviewing lists as I feel they should be included.

The post was - 168809 Amendment to British Malaya list 1941-42

Cheers

Nick

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:15 pm

Great news Rich - please don't forget the Eastern Front and Stalingrad too.
Always happy to help with the Soviet stuff
Also the Sicily lists would be fun too

eggman

Post by eggman » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:49 pm

Great to hear that you are feeling better and hard at it again Rich. It's amazing that you pump out these lists for free, very much appreciate the dedication. I would love to see more comprehensive coverage. Seems the main rule book is good for 44/45, but the other lists seem to end about 1941/42.

I can understand the priority of the Pacific as there is currently nothing official for that theatre for those who like to game there.

I would love to see Africa get rounded out. Seems like a 41/42 list could cover the remaining gaps for Africa and a 43 list for Africa would likely have a lot of overlap with Sicily.

I am hoping that TFL will cover off the majority of the war with specific lists before moving on to other projects.

Cheers!
Eamonn

aktr

Post by aktr » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:47 am

Long post alert
My USMC Lists based off the information from Bayonet Strength

http://www.bayonetstrength.150m.com/Uni ... arines.htm

1942-1943
Command Dice: 5
Rating: Regular +1

Senior Officer - Carbine
Senior Officer – SMG

5 Riflemen
(2 men may be removed to form a Bazooka Team)

Sections 1-3
Junior Leader - SMG
Team 1 – 4 Riflemen
Team 2 – BAR (2 crew), 2 Rifleman

Section 4
Junior Leader - SMG
Team 1 – BAR (2 crew), 1 Rifleman
Team 2 – BAR (2 crew), 2 Rifleman

Reserve BAR – no crew, either assign to an existing team using 2 rifleman in that team as crew or remove 2 riflemen from other teams for crew and use as an independent team

1943-1944
Rating: Regular +1

Senior Officer - Carbine
Senior Officer – SMG

5 Riflemen

Sections 1-3
Junior Leader - SMG
Team 1 – BAR (2 crew), 4 Riflemen
Team 2 – BAR (2 crew), 3 Rifleman

1944-1945
Rating: Regular +3

Senior Officer - Carbine
Senior Officer – SMG

6 Riflemen

Sections 1-3
Junior Leader - SMG
Team 1 – BAR (2 crew), 2 Riflemen
Team 1 – BAR (2 crew), 2 Riflemen
Team 3 – BAR (2 crew), 2 Riflemen

Each section may replace its 3rd team with a flame thrower team

Special rules wise all period get the US Scouts rule, 1942 get 5 rounds rapid fire and the later ones get marching fire. Seen as in 1942 the Mainres had Springfields rather then M1s

theer is another thread kicking around where we discussed what special rules to use

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:58 am

eggman wrote:Great to hear that you are feeling better and hard at it again Rich. It's amazing that you pump out these lists for free, very much appreciate the dedication. I would love to see more comprehensive coverage. Seems the main rule book is good for 44/45, but the other lists seem to end about 1941/42.

I am hoping that TFL will cover off the majority of the war with specific lists before moving on to other projects.

Cheers!
Eamonn
Eamonn,
Rich has previously said that it was his intention to work systematically through the war producing lists for different theatres which he will continue to make available for free. However, the man has to earn a crust and those other projects are what bring in some income for TFL so I think we need to be patient. :)

I think he should charge for a compilation of his lists but he won't. Best we can do is help him with some of the legwork/research and encourage others to buy copies of CoC and the other TFL products.
John

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:12 am

Yes I agree and I would also be happy to pay for a list compilation. (2 Pints?)
Also for an arsenal compilation (1 Pint)
and if you read this Rich I also think you could sell your map making package of shapes for power point
I would but it to save me the time to create all those wonderful shapes (3 pints with instructions)

Winroth

Post by Winroth » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:32 am

I agree with Truscott. You should make sure that you get some money for your work.
I would be more than happy to pay my part for your effort.

eggman

Post by eggman » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:04 pm

Perhaps a way for Rich to approach that is to put list compilations, perhaps by theatre / era, into the web store with a "pay what you want" price on them, including free. I'd pay at least a pint for a thorough Africa list compilation.