Suggestions for US Marine special rules

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

oozeboss
Location: In the Shadow of the Temple of Mir-Anda, Sydney, Australia

Re: Suggestions for US Marine special rules

Post by oozeboss » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:23 am

bcantwell wrote:For my Guadalcanal era USMC (D-1 TOE), I have them with the scout rule (which seems appropriate based on Marine operations on Guadalcanal) and have given them a Marksmanship rule that allows a junior leader to activate a unit to fire using 2 CI and that unit's riflemen (note, not the BAR, SMG, etc). are allowed to assign their hits to specific enemy teams rather than spread them out as normal. SO far it seems to be a pretty decent mechanism, giving them a firepower-based flavor rule without being gratuitously overpowered.

Outstanding idea.

I'll certainly be using that when my growing collection of 1942 SW Pacific platoons inevitably expands to include the Marines of Guadalcanal.
"We are all worms.
But I do believe that I am a glow-worm."

Winston Churchill

Berlichtingen

Post by Berlichtingen » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:35 am

Teufelhunden wrote:I had planned on staying away from this one, as I'm obviously biased, but the very first thing that came to mind was something to do with marksmanship. There are plenty of anecdotes of Marines at the time not wanting the M1, believing the new fangled semi-auto firing weapon would be less accurate than their trusty Springfields.
I believe the official 1941-42 Marine Corps designation for the M1 Garand was Micky Mouse Rifle

Berlichtingen

Post by Berlichtingen » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:02 am

Modern Marine doctrine is very much the product of the later WW2 campaigns. Squad structure is identical today to what it was on Okinawa, and tactics are almost unchanged. The tactics of the early early campaigns were the product of WW1 and the inter war bush fights. Marksmanship is a religion in the Corps, but I believe it was more so until after Tarawa. An indoctrination of always moving forward was also key to offensive tactics, but I believe that was more emphasized post Tarawa. Very close coordination of supporting arms was a feature of both periods, with particular emphasis on close air support... Marines used CAS at scary close ranges (on Guadelcanal, they used cloth panels to mark their forward positions, with pilots, often Army Air Cobras, attacking targets 50-100m in front). From my experience in the 80's, and I believe it was true in WW2, the Marines maintained a more personal relationship with their support elements... the folks out with the riflemen calling in support were from the supporting unit. Artillery FOs came from the artillery unit, FAC officers were pilots.. I think it was a huge benefit that the support units KNEW the people calling in that support... it breeds a level of care and trust.

Corktip100

Post by Corktip100 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:00 am

I think this kind of integration is what makes the Marines an interesting force to game with, whether WW2 or Cold War. I get the impression that the whole of the Marine war machine is focused on getting the rifleman onto his objective in a way not replicated anywhere else.

aktr

Post by aktr » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:05 am

When people mentioned marksmanship my first thought was the Bren special rule – being able to target teams even if they are within 4” of each other. However seen as the Japanese lists don’t break the sections down into teams this seems a little unfair so I may go with 5 rounds rapid fire instead