CoC - What scale do you play?

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Truscott Trotter

Re: CoC - What scale do you play?

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Started off using my FOW 15mm on FOW bases
Soon realised I did not like having little dice everywhere and sometimes I want to spread the guys out to take advantage of terrain.
So I re-based some 15mm singly, realised I could not see which guy had which weapon so moved to 28mm.
Have not looked back since - joy to paint, easy to see - only downside is I now have to buy not only the figures (about 75-100 GBP per force) but new vehicles and scenery - which cost far more than the actual infantry! You can buy relatively cheap MDF buildings now but tanks still cost 20 quid a pop

huevans

Post by huevans »

Just started to get back into WW2 miniature gaming and discovered that Eureka is re releasing AB 20's, my favourite figures ever. Happy coincidence, no? Or is it Fate?

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Damn you Nic Robson those AB's are stunning they are better than most 28mm - luckily for me they do not do any Soviets except these

sespe

Post by sespe »

20mm because that's what my wargaming partners used. 28mm for all other wars except future, where I just got tempted into starting 15mm. Great, now I have 3 scales...

NTM

Post by NTM »

15mm because I do pretty much everything at that size to minimise the amount of terrain and scenics I need to have.

andy_cole

Post by andy_cole »

I started in 28mm, because I did everything in that scale originally.
But I have decided to move over to 15mm from now on, due to size, cost and most inportantly speed of painting.
I enjoy painting but really I want to game. I knocked out a French platoon in about a week with simple washing and highlighting, and no eyes to paint!

DougE

Post by DougE »

MAsta_KFC wrote:Hi Guys,

Just wondering what scale that you guys play CoC and why? I have some 15mm FoW minis that I'm planning to use, yet I also see many games that are in 28mm and look gorgeous!

Do you use your scale because it's what you already have, or visual aspects, or cost aspects or any other reason?

Cheers!

I have both scales. I too played FoW and now my 15's are based as per IABSM but also used them for CoC, with great fun in the end...why? Maneuverability. 6 infantry stands= 1 platoon plus platoon assets made it fun on a 6x4 table. Even had a few tanks per side as well. It was great.
28mm I think is a good scale as well, figures are great, but we find that you can only have a few vehicles or tank per side as now the size of the game has changed. Unless you have the room, then you can go with a bigger board and have more options. Terrain for us is a bit of an issue as ours is mainly for 15mm.
Now, a buddy of fine has gone into 20mm as that way you can have figures based singly and still have room for vehicles, and they are nice looking too :D
Thanks,

Doug

Gibby

Post by Gibby »

I bought platoons in 28mm for Chain of Command, but have decided to resell them and stick with 15mm. For one thing, my 15mm stuff is already based individually for IaBSM anyway so they will be perfect. Secondly, I can't see myself painting the same thing in two scales - not to mention the terrain requirements. I played CoC in 28mm on my 6x4 board and there was barely room to maneuver, so I think 15mm is just about perfect.

eggman

Post by eggman »

28mm because of Bolt Action. I will still play BA because I have some mates that do, but I very much prefer CoC.

I agree that 15mm would be better scale for CoC, but I don't see me changing scale - way too much invested in figures and terrain.

We play on a table that is 5' x 6'. I can easily expand that to 7.5' x 6' - might think about that.

Cheers,
Eamonn aka eggman

oozeboss
Location: In the Shadow of the Temple of Mir-Anda, Sydney, Australia

Post by oozeboss »

eggman wrote:28mm because of Bolt Action. I will still play BA because I have some mates that do, but I very much prefer CoC.

I agree that 15mm would be better scale for CoC, but I don't see me changing scale - way too much invested in figures and terrain.
Ditto, ditto, and ditto.

:o

And because almost all gamers I knock around with use 28s, so the seduction across is much easier if the burden of any compulsory acquisition and painting up of new minis is removed. (Not the buying & painting part, of course. Just the "compulsory" aspect of doing so.)

;)