Big CoC Game Update

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Archdukek

Re: Big CoC Game Update

Post by Archdukek »

hedgehobbit wrote:
m1kel wrote:3. Can a senior office activate a tracked AFV chosen from the support list with one of his initiatives.
A senior Leader can command any men from his own Battalion. So a Senior Leader from a US armored infantry battalion would be able to command any M8 HMCs or M4 105 Shermans from his battalion's assault gun platoon.

I've made a habit of marking in-battalion support options.
Hedgehobbit, that's an interesting point which I hadn't thought of.
However, realistically and historically could a platoon commander order those assets or is that something which in practice would be more likely to be done by a Company Commander or the Battalion CO, in other words a Ranking Senior Leader?
John

m1kel

Post by m1kel »

My opinion is that an afv Is an asset given a mission but still reporting to its origin command. While a platoon commander may ask for a sherman to clear a building the precise actions taken remain with the Junior Leader. Thinking about it, the senior leader would be unable to order the driver and gunner to perform any actions. To allow the senior platoon officer to activate the junior leader in the sherman with a single initiative and then have the junior leader use his three initiatives doesn't make sense to me.
Mike

Seret

Post by Seret »

m1kel wrote:Thinking about it, the senior leader would be unable to order the driver and gunner to perform any actions.
I wouldn't allow the SL to activate the JL and get multiple actions from the use of a single CI. But I would allow an SL in direct contact with the tank to activate individual crew. Could be useful if you were short on 3s on your command dice. I'd be pretty wary of doing it on a tank that didn't have a tank phone though, the SL could be pretty vulnerable if he's climbing up top and banging on a hatch.

As for grenades in woods, that's a no-no in my book. Real soldiers are taught to never do it. Too dangerous.

hedgehobbit

Post by hedgehobbit »

m1kel wrote:My opinion is that an afv Is an asset given a mission but still reporting to its origin command.
The same could be said of anti-tank guns, infantry guns, and some MMG teams, yet these can be activated by SLs (if in the same battalion, of course).

To be clear, a SL cannot activate a JL in a vehicle or otherwise. I wasn't suggesting that they should be able to.

m1kel

Post by m1kel »

Interesting conversation:)
I still don't believe a Senior platoon commander is going to go over to the hatch of a British Sherman and shout "jimmy drive forward 10 yards", "Tommy, load and fire at the wood", "Pete don't you do anything old son".:)
Given we have all been playing CoC for so long its surprising the different thought in this one.
Any other comments from anyone? Richard even? :)
Mike

Seret

Post by Seret »

m1kel wrote:Interesting conversation:)
I still don't believe a Senior platoon commander is going to go over to the hatch of a British Sherman and shout "jimmy drive forward 10 yards", "Tommy, load and fire at the wood", "Pete don't you do anything old son".:)
Sure he would, or more specifically he'll be yakking on the tank phone to the vehicle commander (or standing on the engine deck yelling in his ear) saying "Get your gunner to put an HE round through that church spire" or "Drive this bucket of bolts through that wire obstacle". The vehicle commander would relay that to his crew, just the way the commander of any other crew served weapon would when given orders by an officer.

The fact that the crew is being activated by an SL rather than their own JL doesn't mean the JL is necessarily sitting there twiddling his thumbs. The JL is just directing his crew based on the SLs initiative instead of his own.

m1kel

Post by m1kel »

Seret,

Take a look at section 4.5 of the rules as John pointed out earlier and tell me what you think it means.

Secondly, there are Senior Leaders. These are men whose rank determines that they can command any men from their own battalion. The Senior Leader is anyone from the senior Platoon NCO upwards through all ranks of officers. However, troops from other formations, such as attached vehicles, will not be influenced by these Leaders.

Mike

Seret

Post by Seret »

I'd take it mean exactly what's written. An SL can command any vehicles from his own battalion, but not others. I usually use Panzergrenadiers, so the officer could command supporting assault guns and panzerjagers (if it was a PzGren in an armoured division, but not tanks). When I play my Germans as regular infantry he'd be a lot more limited.

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

I agree with Mike - I do not think the intention is for an Infantry NCO to be able to direct tanks by activating them.
In a Big CoC the ranking SL may be able to influence attached armour
The own Battalion stuff sounds like the FOW rule for calling in art support

m1kel

Post by m1kel »

I would allow a ranking officer which is a completely different type of Senior Leader in the rules to activate because he will be typically a Company Commander in Big CoC as Truscott says.