Big CoC Game Update

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

m1kel

Big CoC Game Update

Post by m1kel »

Hi,
I posted an update over on the yahoo group of our main test game before the Big Day. I posted there because there are pictures of the table and i don't think we can post pictures here.

Check it out if its of interest.
Two weeks to go until our 10 platoon 12 player game:)

I didn't want to leave without a few questions as usual:)

1. We had armour engaging at ranges of over 5 feet so the feeling is we still need to break up line of sight a bit more. We play three rows of hedges block LOS but guys yesterday were suggesting making this two to allow troops to manoeuvre more. Im not convinced that reducing this to two hedges will have the desired result. Anyone have experience of testing this?
2. We had a couple of occasions where a leader was within 4 inches of his section but would have been unable to be hit because he was out of sight. I know how i would play this but can the NCO be with the unit but not roll for risk if the section loses casualties?
3. Can a senior office activate a tracked AFV chosen from the support list with one of his initiatives.
4. Can an antitank team move and fire?

Thanks,
Mike

Archdukek

Re: Big CoC Game Update

Post by Archdukek »

Hi Mike,
You can post pictures here but don't ask me how!
As to your questions:
1. Not yet tried Big CoC but like you I can't see this change making much difference. You might try using higher terrain even scatter some low hills around to make more folds in the ground.
2. This has been discussed before. You test when the section is hit whether the NCO is visible or not. The view is that the Leader will be moving around encouraging his guys even if his figure is placed out of sight. Anyway who would want to follow a guy who is skulking behind a wall when his men are under fire.
3. No, see page 18, section 4.5, Support armour has its own command chain, infantry SLs have no influence. However, I think you might allow your a Force Commander in a Big CoC game to do so.
4. Yes, see p 41, section 9.3.1 which says that infantry AT weapons can move and fire like other infantry teams.

John

aphillathehun

Post by aphillathehun »

Sounds nice. I'm not sure I understand. It sounds like you think armor engaging at over 5' is a problem and I don't see why that should be a problem?

m1kel

Post by m1kel »

John,

Thanks for your reply. Helpful as always. But with ref to point 4 if inf AT teams move as other infantry that would suggest they move with one die and fire at half affect. That doesn't make sense as its a different to hit roll (12.1) against a vehicle??? You roll two dice and add modifiers. To roll a single dice would be an automatic miss. Im thinking they move with one die and fire as normal on the to hit table. What are we missing here?

Thanks,
Mike

m1kel

Post by m1kel »

No. Its not a problem as far as range or anything else is concerned its just that a tank sitting in the corner of a table firing at that range is a game killer. We had a case where a Sherman at one end of the table didn't have any covering terrain within 2 feet. Once the other side lost its only piece of armour we may as well have called it a day because the infantry AT teams count get close enough (Panzer faust at 24inches) to do any damage.
Its not only the armour though when playing on such a long table it makes sense to break up line of sight otherwise everyone just sits behind bocage or in a building and fires:)
I guess what i was asking with Q1 was is there anyone out there that play two hedges break LOS, instead of three, and how does it change the game?

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Take a mortar battery next time that will disconcert the tank - or at least stop it seeing without moving
Also we never have more than 12" without cover even on normal CoC games

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

m1kel wrote:John,

Thanks for your reply. Helpful as always. But with ref to point 4 if inf AT teams move as other infantry that would suggest they move with one die and fire at half affect. That doesn't make sense as its a different to hit roll (12.1) against a vehicle??? You roll two dice and add modifiers. To roll a single dice would be an automatic miss. Im thinking they move with one die and fire as normal on the to hit table. What are we missing here?

Thanks,
Mike
Fair question, I believe they can move 1D6 and fire as normal but with a -1 penalty for Firer moving. Doesn't make sense otherwise as you point out.
John

Belisarius

Post by Belisarius »

A couple of other questions arose in the same game, chaps.We play 4" firing into and out of woods. Two opposing squads faced each other at 11" inside the same wood and were allowed to fire using the rule on P. 32 . Did we do it correctly ? Later on the German player wanted to throw grenades when the units came Into range . Is it feasible to throw grenades or do the trees prevent it ? On another occasion a German squad 3-4" inside the wood had been fired on by a Sherman , from outside, giving the target light cover. The German player wanted to return fire with a panzer faust on his turn ,without moving , is the target obscured by firing thro the trees at it ? On the plus side the game flowed smoothly with 3 players on each side .

siggian

Post by siggian »

On firing in the woods, yes, I think you did it correctly.

I'd allow tossing of grenades in woods. If it's so thick as to prevent grenades being hurled, your visibility is likely to be a lot less than 12". Maybe a -2 penalty is appropriate similar to trying to throw a grenade through a door or large window.

If the Sherman fired on the infantry, I'd allow them to panzerfaust back without moving. I would not give the Sherman cover either because it isn't in the woods. See the 4th bullet on page 81.

hedgehobbit

Post by hedgehobbit »

m1kel wrote:3. Can a senior office activate a tracked AFV chosen from the support list with one of his initiatives.
A senior Leader can command any men from his own Battalion. So a Senior Leader from a US armored infantry battalion would be able to command any M8 HMCs or M4 105 Shermans from his battalion's assault gun platoon.

I've made a habit of marking in-battalion support options.