Jeeps with integral weapons?

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

LardFarmer

Jeeps with integral weapons?

Post by LardFarmer »

In the support lists there are options to take Jeeps (or equivalent) with no crew or weapons for 1 point. I understand the concept of manning/gunning vehicles from your chosen force. But......

What are the groups thoughts on Jeeps etc. which come complete with a weapon mounted on the vehicle(e.g. a Para recon jeep with K-guns or American with .30cal)where the weapon would not be part of the platoon force?

Obviously I'm not expecting them for free, but would the concensus be to include them as a level (?) support with their own crew (much like a 250 or Bren carrier)& if so what level please?

Ideally I'm hoping at some point to see my Para platoon zimming around the table to sieze objectives &/or blow 'em up! :D
"I can't read, I can't write, it don't really matter. 'Cos I come from Eversham & I can drive a tratter!"

sunjester

Re: Jeeps with integral weapons?

Post by sunjester »

Interesting one this, my first thought was combine the jeep and weapon from the support lists. So to take a jeep and Vickers or 30cal would cost 5 support points (1 for the jeep and 4 for the mmg and crew).

For the Para recon jeeps with K guns I'm not so sure. How would you class the K gun? Is it an lmg (if so with a 100 round magazine is it belt or magazine fed?) or a MMG? Also I'd be inclined to treat the recon jeep as a team with a junior leader, like the carrier or 250 recon teams.
I think it's down to the weapon, if you are classing it as a magazine lmg then it's 3 points (the same as a carrier and team, if you are classing it as an belt fed lmg it's 4 points (the same as a 250 and team). If you want to class the K gun as a MMG then it's 5 points.

Graham

hedgehobbit

Post by hedgehobbit »

I've been looking at the US Cavalry Recon Troop which has six jeeps, three of which armed with .30 LMGs. There are two ways of handling it; as a rifle team in an armed jeep or a MG team in an unarmed jeep. Which way is more correct depends entirely on whether or not the MG could be dismounted. I haven't seen evidence yet that the jeeps in this unit included tripods for dismounting. If they don't have them then it's best to represent them as rifle teams. This is one of the reasons I don't like one support list per nation or general rules like transport vehicles all being unarmed. It leads to things like the US Armored Infantry losing most of their machine guns.
Last edited by hedgehobbit on Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Polkovnik

Post by Polkovnik »

On the subject of jeeps, I was wondering what the point of them was. Why would you want to take a jeep for one point ? It seems like something that it just going to get killed quickly with no particular benefit. Has anyone used a jeep in a game yet, and how did you find it ?

Derek H

Post by Derek H »

They move quite quickly and can be used to deny the enemy use of Jump-Off points.
All the Lard News in one place - Lard Central http://www.netvibes.com/lardcentral
Pimping my blog - Dereks Wee Toys http://dereksweetoys.com/

SteveBurt

Post by SteveBurt »

Jeeps are high speed scout teams.

Polkovnik

Post by Polkovnik »

Have any of you actually tried using them in this way though ? I think they would just be a liabilty.

Derek H

Post by Derek H »

If you think they're a liabilty then take a different support option.

I see their use as being limited, but I can certainly visualise occasions on which they could be very useful indeed.
All the Lard News in one place - Lard Central http://www.netvibes.com/lardcentral
Pimping my blog - Dereks Wee Toys http://dereksweetoys.com/

Polkovnik

Post by Polkovnik »

Derek H wrote:If you think they're a liabilty then take a different support option.
I can't see myself taking one, but I was just interested to hear if anyone has actually tried them and how it turned out.

Also I'm clearing out a lot of my excess 20mm WW2 and I was wondering whether to hold onto the couple of jeeps I have.

SteveBurt

Post by SteveBurt »

I've not used jeeps as fast scout teams in CoC, but I've certainly used them that way many times in other WW2 rules. If there's a convenient road I could imagine they might be very useful indeed.