Chain of 40k (40k to CoC conversion rules)

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Ysambart

Chain of 40k (40k to CoC conversion rules)

Post by Ysambart »

Every once in a while you lovea new game system, but you haven't quite given up the old one, and in a flash of madness, you dream that it is time to write conversion rules. It comes from a love of both systems, and dream of mashing up a cool mechanic in one game with the cool stuff from another. You can also do fantastic "What If's" such as "How would a green Soviet platoon go against regular guardsmen?" "Could the lads from Band of brother stand up to a platoon of Space Marines?".

You also think "For the love of all that is Holy I don't want to never use all those miniatures again."

In order to use these conversion rules, you should purchase the Chain of Command ruleset, and the relevant Codex from GW. These conversion rules require that you own CoC and GW books, and read the CoCulator thread on this forum. They do not stand alone. I have included a few examples only for purposes of showing the mathematics involved. Please support the hobby, and do not steal Intellectual Property.

ChainOf40K CoCulator Conversion tables

Platoon Force Rating
Calculated using the Coculator

Command Dice
Command dice are determined if there is a difference between the leadership of the main troop type and the Individual Armour of the troop type. They should be:
7 or less = 4 command dice Green; 8 leadership = 5 command dice; 9 or more leadership = 6 command dice Elite. Modifying the COC dice alone, or the hit table alone costs 16% per shift.

Examples:
Gaunt’s Ghosts wear Individual armour 6, so are shot at like green troops. However they have excellent leadership, and camo cloaks that modify the hit tables. They can have the +1 cover cloaks and +1 leadership to a cost of zero points adjustment. Taking them to elite dice, but staying on the regular hit table, would adjust their cost by 16%

The Wild Boys Chaos Marine Chapter has poor discipline. They have only 5 CoC dice, but still wear power armour. The one less dice per phase drops the Platoon cost by 16%.

Weapons Table
Weapon Strength Conversion Rules:
All weapons have an “CoCAP” of their strength + 2- their 40k ap.
(40kAP of - or ‘dash’ = 7
Regular weapons are “HE” at quarter of their strength round up
Blast Weapons are “HE” at half their strength round up.
Heavy Weapons are +1 AP
Blast Weapons are +1 AP
Large Blast Weapons are +1 AP
Barrage - follows mortar rules re. turn fire etc.
Rapid Fire = Semi Automatic Rifle
Range 12” or less = -1 point; 24” = 0; Close 36” = +1

Ysambart

Re: Chain of 40k (40k to CoC conversion rules)

Post by Ysambart »

Sample Weapons

Bolter 24 s4 ap5 RF = Bolter 1; CR0-12” ER13”+; Re-roll 1’s; AP1 = 2 points (FP + AP)
Bolt Pistol s4 ap5 = Bolt Pistol 2; ; CR0-6” ER7”-12”; AP1 = 2 points (FP+ AP -1 range)

Heavy Stubber 36” S4 AP 6 Heavy3 = Heavy Stubber 3CR0-18” ER19”+; 3

Lasgun 24 s3 ap- RF = Lasgun 1; CR0-12” ER13”+; Re-roll 1’s = 1 Point
Laspistol 12 s3 = Laspistol 2; CR0-6” ER7”-12” = 1Point (2 FP – 1 range)
Lascannon 48” s9 ap1 Lascannon AP10 HE1 = 12 Points (10+1+1)

Melta 12 s8 ap1 A1 = Melta 1; 0-6” AP15 HE1 7”-12” AP9 HE1 = 12 points (Midpoint of AP+HE of 13 -1 range)

Missile Frag 48 s4 ap6 H1 (includes Missile Krak 48 s8 ap3 H1
) = Missile Launcher 1; CR0-24” ER24”+; AP8 HE4; Heavy = 12 points (AP + HE + range)

Plasma Gun 24” s7 ap2 = Plasma Gun 2; CR0-12” ER13”-24” AP7 HE1 Gets Hot! = 6 points (8 -2 gets hot)

Ysambart

Post by Ysambart »

Vehicle Armour Conversion
All vehicle armours are at -4 their 40k armour.

Sample Vehicles
Leman Russ (no sponsons) Armour 10; AP10 HE6; Slow = (10+10+6+0) = 26 = List 8
Chimera Armour 6; AP2 HE3; Medium = (6+2+3+1) = List 4

Weapon Types:
Anti-Tank Guns:
?TBA
Infantry Anti-Tank Guns:
?TBA
Infantry Weapons
Sufficient Strength - Can take AP Shots
Rapid Fire = Semi Automatic Rifle
Assault = Range based firepower, maximum range

Vehicle Anti-Infantry Weapons
Name FP Close Effective AP Notes
Name FP Close Effect AP Notes

Individual Armour
Armour - or 6 = Green ( cost -33%)
Armour 5 = Regular
Armour 4 = Elite (+ cost 33%)
Armour 3 = Elite + First kill per phase becomes shock + counts as +1 cover + AP2 (cost +33% +4)
Armour 2 = Elite + First kill per phase becomes shock + counts as +2 cover+ AP4 (cost +33% +7))

Ysambart

Post by Ysambart »

Sample Special Rules
Space Marine Special Rules
And they shall know no fear
When a Space Marine Unit breaks, the morale roll is made for the team or section breaking. They do not break, and four shock is removed.

SACRED NUMBERS
Chaos Squads start at their sacred number, and they gain the following special rules
Slaanesh = 6
Unnatural Initiative: Slaneeshi Officers have +1 activations

Nurgle = 7
Blessed Toughness: Those so marked have one more toughness than similar troops.

Khorne = 8
Fury of Khorne: Each model Blessed by Khorne has +1d6 per assault, and may re-roll the movement dice when charging.

Tzeentch = 9
Prophecy: The mystical Tzeenchian Senior Leaders have only two command initiatives. They may choose to have one more command dice OR +1 cover for platoon members in command range each phase.

Ysambart

Post by Ysambart »

Attributes
Attributes above normal humans (BS 3; WS 3; S3; T3; I3; A1) cost CoC points
SHOOTING
BS - BS3 is considered base shooting. BS modifies the result on the roll to hit table.
(For each 1 points of difference above a regular human, the squad costs .25 CoC point)

T – Where T3 = 0: Remove1d6 worth of Firepower or AP from a firing round for each 6 additional toughness in the squad. Round down(For each point of difference above a regular human, the squad costs .25 CoC point)

CLOSE COMBAT
T - In close combat, there is a 1d6 difference granted for each T difference.
(The cost is included in shooting above)

WS - There is a 1d6 difference granted for a WS difference. Each
S - In close combat, there is a 1d6 difference granted for each S difference.
I - In close combat, there is a 1d6 difference granted for each I difference.
A - In close combat, there is a 1d6 difference granted for each A difference.
(For each point of difference above a regular human, the squad costs 0.125 CoC point)

WOUND ALLOCATION
W - Those with Multiple W characteristic can remove a W until reduce to zero. Each W loss also causes a pin marker.
LEADERSHIP
LD - Leadership modifies your command dice and activations

Ysambart

Post by Ysambart »

PLATOON EXAMPLES

Minimal Space Marine squad:6 CoC dice Elite (-2)
1 x Senior Leader Sargent = 9 + 9 = 18
4 Regular marines = 4 x 9 = 36
54 x Elite 33% (+18) = 72 = -2 Platoon Rating

Standard Space Marine Platoon
6 CoC dice, Elite Platoon (+11)
1 x Senior Leader Sargent = 9 + 9 = 18
7 Regular Marines = 7 x 9 = 63
1 x Flamer Marine = 9
1 Missile Launcher Junior Leader = 7 + 6 + 11 = 24 (114)
114 x Elite 33% (+38) = 152 = Platoon rating of +11

Imperial Guard Platoon
5 CoC Dice, Regular Platoon (-5)
Command Squad (13)
1 Lieutenant, Senior Leader, laspistol (9)
Four Guardsmen, lasguns (4)
3 x Guard Sections (4x15 = 45)
-Sargent, Junior Leader, laspistol (6)
- 9 Guardsmen with lasguns (9)
Will figure out a special rule later :D

aktr

Post by aktr »

Interesting ideas although I may need to reread the fine details when I've has another cup of tea as my brain isn't quite functioning properly yet

I did ponder porting the 40k armies across into CoC but my idea was more just 40k minis and army style with CoC rules. Armour just counted as levels of cover (Power Armours was permanent hard cover - anything heavier like Terminator was classed as a vehicle)

I like your idea for reducing the number of shooting/cc dice depending on the targets toughness

Although I feel that in CC with all the difference in I, A, T, S and WS things could get a bit complicated

Ysambart

Post by Ysambart »

Hi Aktr,

I thought a lot about checks and balances. For every dice advantage, add a cost. CC seemed to be 'get bucket of dice' I did add a lot more to the bucket. After reading Rich's comments about aggressive being free 'essentially free' , the dice differences are there, but not at full expense.

I was trying to make each special rule worth very roughly about 16% overall cost, and anything worth more gets a disadvantage. ATSKNF seemed worth more that the 16%, so they kept the morale loss of each break, making the -4 shock risky.

hedgehobbit

Post by hedgehobbit »

Just played a game using 40k Eldar (versus SW Stormtroopers). Didn't get any pictures though.

One thing I did to simplify the conversion is to change the dice that are rolled. For example, Eldar roll d8s for all movement rolls, Orks roll d8s in close combat, Space Marines roll d8s to hit, etc. I didn't do it but I'd probably just have Space Marines gain shock at 1/2 the normal rate. So it takes 2 points of shock to give space marines one shock.

That reduces the number of modifiers I need. Otherwise, you might as well just use 40k's to-hit and wound tables directly.

unhingedtangent

Post by unhingedtangent »

Cool. Good to see some work on something like this. I have also spent some time working on adapting CoC rules to the 40k background with various success.
The main things I struggled with was keeping the 40k background and feel, and not having the game play like WW2 40k. I am finding lots of good ideas in Quadrant 13 also.

There are certainly some big challenges but I think it is able to be done.