Cavalry - fighting mounted and charging!

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Saladin

Cavalry - fighting mounted and charging!

Post by Saladin »

Since I'm interested in SCW games I need some rules for cavalry fighting mounted - including charging.

fred

Re: Cavalry - fighting mounted and charging!

Post by fred »

We very briefly discussed cavalry at the end of game last week.

Thought that they should count as Green and in the Open when being shot at (irrespective of the quality of the troops, its hard to keep a horse in cover!)

Perhaps give them 2 dice per man, if they get into close combat?
But count enemy automatic weapons double?

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

As a long time cavalry player in FOW and one who has done extensive research on WWII Soviet Cavalry in particular I can tell you there were only 3 or 4 cases where Cavalry actually charged mounted against formed enemy out of thousands of engagements.
Soviet Cavalry tended to use the horse for tactical and operational level mobility. Charges were usually reserved for enemy that was fleeing or effectively unarmed, such as supply and rear area troops.
So if I was going to allow horses I would use them to allow a big movement of jump off points or to effect the ability of enemy broken units to retreat etc.
The other fact is that a cavalry platoon never operated in isolation it was always part of a squadron action unless it was detached for recon purposes.

Saladin

Post by Saladin »

They did a couple of times in the SCW too, and since CoC is about those tiny actions before, after, and on the fringes of the main ones - there should be lots of oportunities for interesting mixes of units (as the cuurent support lists indicate). In fact, I would add a squad of mounted cavalry as a support option.

Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Saladin,

In my SCW Army of Africa list I have added a cavalry scout squad as an option. You can also run a complete mounted platoon as well. There were many occasions for the use of cavalry and plenty of it....low level actions with cavalry are a definite inclusion and something that I think needs to be covered.

I like the idea of enhanced jump off ability as well and this can be a nice way to utilise the extra mobility early in the patrol phase.

Look here!

http://myscw.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/the-cavalry.html

Cheers

Rolf

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

I think if you are going to include Cavalry you need to add in a few more rules to the basic ones to cater for the differences in movement, shooting, combat etc
Would be interested to hear your ideas

Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Hi Truscott,

I thought maybe some cavalry rule from the design crew might find its way onto this thread. ;)

I haven't looked closely at cavalry just yet.

I like the idea of a pre game advantage though. Perhaps for each (dismounted) cavalry squad you have you can gain one free Patrol phase move with one of your markers as per the rules. At this point your dismounted troops can be deployed without their horses in a position of advantage.

In game with mounted troops you will run up against a bunch of new rules ideas potential. IABSM has cavalry rules that might fit in to line with CoC to a point. Here are some random ideas based on them and a few extra ideas.

-Mounting or dismounting requires one complete Normal Move action - idea being you have to handle the horses as well…so no shooting.

-Mounted they add 1D6 to their movement when moving. They may not move tactically mounted!

-When fired at Mounted they count as Green (regardless of their actual quality).

-When charging an enemy they will move At The Double with double their dice rolled for movement, however they must begin their charge move from a point where they can feasibly make contact in the current turn.

-Count as Aggressive in Combat

-Count mounted cavalry that charge into contact as a Tank Overrun vs infantry

Thoughts?

Rolf