Support List Question

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

maerk

Support List Question

Post by maerk »

Hi,
In the German support list three (p.85) there is a Sdkfz 251 "no weapons", while in the arsenal table (p.87) the Sdkfz 251 has a MG. Does this mean if I get to choose from list three, I can take a Sdkfz 251 but it will have no MG, it's just the bare vehicle?

What about the "Sdkfz 250 with four man Reconnaissance Team" in the same support list three: Does this vehicle come with an MG as it is listed in the arsenal table?

I have the same question for the british support list three: The M5 half-track explicitly has no weapons while the universal carrier in the same list has ?

Why would I choose an unarmed Sdkfz 251 or M5 when I can get an armed vehicle from the same list?

Maerk

Truscott Trotter

Re: Support List Question

Post by Truscott Trotter »

None of the transport vehicles come with weapons they use those of the crews
p 82 of the rules
Transport vehicles are listed with no weapons. If
you want to mount a 0.50 HMG on your M3, then
you will need to select them separately. Such
weapons may be dismounted and used
separately during a game, for example if the
vehicle is damaged but the weapon is not.

Alan Charlesworth

Post by Alan Charlesworth »

Isn't it the case that weapons come with men, not with vehicles? So if an item on the list includes men with the vehicle then it might be armed. But if the vehicle comes without men then you have to use men from your core force to 'arm' it.

Kustenjaeger

Post by Kustenjaeger »

Greetings

I think Alan is right - the idea is that transport vehicles come without crew so the team/squad provides the driver etc. Certainly the German gepanzert and motorisiert panzergrenadier gruppe numbers included the driver.

(In theory I think the Sdkfz 251/1's forward MG was in addition to the 2 leMG per gruppe but had to be manned by the gruppe's manpower.)

While I don't know for sure the lack of armament on the M5 may well be because it was rare for UK halftracks to mount the AAMG.

Regards

Edward

Richard
Site Admin

Post by Richard »

My thoughts are that you need to populate the transport vehicles with crew. So a Panzer Grenadier squad would mount its LMGs on the vehicle.

Where the 250 has a Team they do have their own LMG as you are getting the fully crewed and equipped vehicle

Richard

maerk

Post by maerk »

ok, understood. Thank you, boys!
Maerk

DaveS

Post by DaveS »

How does the British M5 Halftrack work? They could/would(?) have a 50 cal mounted for AA but there is no way to get a 50 cal from the British Support list.Can it only be equipped with a Bren LMG from a section/team mounted in it? Were Brens used in an AA role on M5s?
thanks,
Dave.

Pilgrim

Post by Pilgrim »

Usually the Brits dismounted the MGs from US supplied half tracks, though for the life of me I have no idea what they did with them - hung them on Universal carriers I suppose. There are occasional pics of 1\2 tracks with guns but not many. Doctrine was not to fight from the 1\2 tracks as they were too vulnerable

hedgehobbit

Post by hedgehobbit »

In the US armored platoon, each squad had a halftrack with a MG on it. They could take the MG with them when they dismounted (the assistant squad leader and riflemen 1, 2 and 3 would form the MG team) just like how they can form the bazooka team. So it makes sense for the German halftrack to not have MGs since they are both with the squad but the Americans can't actually get one without getting a separate MG team which mean the halftrack won't be able to carry the squad it was supposed to belong to.

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Ummm as I read it the US plt comes with its in built MG squad containing 2 MG's which can be mounted on Halftracks.
What appears to be missing is the 50 cal that was present in 2 of the plts halftracks according to some TO&E's As it appears unlikely you will get more than 1 or 2 halftracks in the game I think the point is minor. If you are doing your own scenario were all the men are in halftracks then you could give them the weapons.