Anyone working on 1939 Japanese?

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Truscott Trotter

Re: Anyone working on 1939 Japanese?

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Yeah it was a bummer, I looked at every source trying to find one used but nope.

I think they figured that although places like Hong Kong Malaya etc had good road systems that if the A/c had to leave the road at all it was stuffed.

There is a site that lists all the Japanese amoured units and their equipment used in WW2 will track it down and post it later.

Here you go
http://www3.plala.or.jp/takihome/history.htm

MLB

Post by MLB »

Oh the agonies of collecting 28mm. If you boys could only see the light and realise you can have your cake and eat it too in 20mm. I now have enough for any combination of Japanese platoon; Chinese nationalists and communists; early war Brits in topees, early war Brits/commonwealth in tropical dress, and later war Brits/Aussies or Chindits in jungle greens. Vehicles and guns to match. Not gloating or anything.....🤪
The Tactical Painter https://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com
Painting little soldiers for tactical battles on the table top

Truscott Trotter

Least i can see my troops..... :P

MLB

Post by MLB »

Truscott Trotter wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:39 am
Least i can see my troops..... :P
LOL I think my ageing eyes would probably agree. I game all other periods in 28mm and to be honest the main reason I game CoC in 20mm is because that’s what I had when I started. That said I’m very happy with the scale, not least because it’s much easier to build up new units for theatres or nationalities that grab my interest.
The Tactical Painter https://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com
Painting little soldiers for tactical battles on the table top

Truscott Trotter

Don't get me wrong some of the 20mm stuff - e.g. AB is stunning and in some ways better sculpts than the better 28mm ....but me and my gaming mate are contemplating 54mm soon! :lol:

PS I do regret selling off my 20mm collection in the 80's :cry:

andysyk

Post by andysyk »

I switched to 28mm when the Warlord plastic stuff started coming out. A massive 20mm collection lies in retirement in the loft. Why I dont use it Ive no idea. I think I switched to 28mm plastic because it was a harking back to the 1/35 kits of youth. Having just spent 10 days holiday trying to cobble together historical units from the bolt action boxes Im contemplating just going back to metal. Some of them arnt bad in whats in them but others are terrible the Us Airborne box is quite strange. Ive yet to tackle a mound of Japanese sprues.

andysyk

Post by andysyk »

As an tactical aside. Ive been reading stuff on British Armour in the East and before they got Lees and Shermans. They found the Japanese Knee mortars a real problem. Mortar rounds hitting top armour causing losses. Also constantly having to resort to turret aa mg. Smg, pistols, keeping hatches open to do so, even in one account using a hammer. To prevent the Japanese close assaulting the tanks.

gebhk

Post by gebhk »

For some time now, I've been struck by the doctrinal and organisational similarities between the Polish and Japanese armies. The original idea for the Polish 47mm mortar (or literally grenade launcher) was for there to be a squad of three weapons in each platoon.

Truscott Trotter

andysyk wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:57 am
As an tactical aside. Ive been reading stuff on British Armour in the East and before they got Lees and Shermans. They found the Japanese Knee mortars a real problem. Mortar rounds hitting top armour causing losses. Also constantly having to resort to turret aa mg. Smg, pistols, keeping hatches open to do so, even in one account using a hammer. To prevent the Japanese close assaulting the tanks.
Interesting stuff Andy - do you have a link for the info on the GD Vs armour would love to read it.
I am not surprised about the AT close assault stuff - have been trying to get Rich to revisit that one in light of the Japanese tactical manual I found on this subject. They are more like the German AT teams working together with a plan rather than one lone suicide guy - that came later in 45

@gebhk - agreed I have been looking at that too - although the Japanese LMG was still more effective than the BAR it was used in a similar way. I think it was only the jungle making arty support difficult that allowed the GD to flourish - although they did find it useful Vs dug in MG's in China

Neil Todd

Post by Neil Todd »

The US troops didn't like facing the GD either, I have an article somewhere that attributes a high percentage of all US causalities in the Pacific to Mortars in general and the 'Knee Mortar' or GD specifically.