Anyone working on 1939 Japanese?

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

edleland

Anyone working on 1939 Japanese?

Post by edleland »

I'd love to have these guys to complete the "armies the Soviets fought before Barbarossa" trilogy. I can start putting something together if no one else has claimed it. I can do a structure for Nomonhan, but am on far shakier ground dealing with Japanese forces in China. Can anyone help with that?

Thanks!
Ed

evillsvain

Re: Anyone working on 1939 Japanese?

Post by evillsvain »

Hi,

I was thinking about it but as I've already been buried in books and done two sample lists for Rich within a week I guess it would be nice if someone else was willing to take a shot :)
Here's something I found interesting to read and might become handy if you decide to do the Japanese Early War list: http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA322749

Good luck and BANZAI!

Cheers,

hithero

Post by hithero »

Anybody started the Japan list yet, I've got my Russians on order with Baker Co. and thought about getting the Japs done ready for their arrival.

dondi63

Post by dondi63 »

I have three platoons of Japanese painted and ready to go. You can find TO&E for them in Osprey Battle Orders by Gordon Rottman.
A Japanese infantry platoon consisted of a small HQ of an officer and a Sergeant with maybe some runners. The platoon consisted of three LMG sections of 13 men and a Grenade discharger section of 13 men. The LMG Section was composed of section leader (rifle), a LMG crew leader, gunner, 2nd gunner, 3rd gunner and 8 riflemen The LMG crew all had pistols and maybe rifles. The Grenade Discharger Section was composed of Section leader (rifle) 3 grenadiers, 3 2nd grenadier (rifle)and 6 riflemen. All enlisted, even if they did not have a rifle carried a 13 inch bayonet. You can add to the mix a SMG for NCO.s in place of a rifle. Of course this is TO&E, in actuality the numbers could be less. Late in the war the Japanese may have had more LMG's in a section. Hope this helps out.

dondi63

Post by dondi63 »

evillsvain wrote:Hi,

I was thinking about it but as I've already been buried in books and done two sample lists for Rich within a week I guess it would be nice if someone else was willing to take a shot :)
Here's something I found interesting to read and might become handy if you decide to do the Japanese Early War list: http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA322749

Good luck and BANZAI!

Cheers,

I have that and it is quite good. Also recomend Nomonhan 1939 by Stuart D. Goldman.

hithero

Post by hithero »

Thanks Dondi, with the grenade section I take it is 3 launcher guys and their second would load and not shoot rifles like the lmg's and 2nds?

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Since it didn't change much from 1937 to 1945, I play the Japanese B infantry launcher squads:

6+squad leader shoot if the launchers fire

or

12+squad leader shoot if the launchers don't fire

Fits the time frame of a CoC phase and is historic.

Nick B

Post by Nick B »

I would agree with JT that the organisation barely changed and that the Type B is the most reflective of common orbats.

You should, however, for 1939, give the LMG either a much reduced rate of fire or introduce a jamming rule (e.g. more 1's than 6's rolled) to represent the significant jamming problems caused by the open hopper on the Type 11 or the ammunition oiling mechanism in the Type 96 LMGs.

Medium mortars should be very rare, if not entirely absent, in the support lists for this period and should be replaced by infantry guns.

Cheers

Nick

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Ya, but if you play a Peleliu game without taking into account the 150mm mortars the Japanese used you'll be missing a key point to the early fighting there.

EvilGinger

Post by EvilGinger »

150mm mortars are by no means medium, defiantly heavy in my opinion. I think the point here is that the Japanese did not have the organic medium mortars attached to infantry at company or battalion level which many other nations did in the 1937-40 period. I am no expert but I think they had all but the lightest ones as artillery assets doctrinally.

:evil: Ginger
Dark lord at large....