Allocating Command Dice

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Alan Charlesworth

Allocating Command Dice

Post by Alan Charlesworth »

Just wondered if we playing this the right way?

When we roll the Command Dice each player uses each die sequentially. That is to say a die is used to activate a unit or leader and only when that activation is completed do we allocate the next die. Which obviously means that the next die allocation is made in full knowledge of the effect of the previous set of actions.

However, we did wonder if all the dice should be allocated to units or leaders first, before any of the activations are executed. That way the outcome of any activation does not influence which units get activated subsequently.

Are we doing it the way that was intended?

Truscott Trotter

Re: Allocating Command Dice

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Bottom of p 15 has the answer- use em in any sequence that you want

Alan Charlesworth

Post by Alan Charlesworth »

Truscott Trotter wrote:Bottom of p 15 has the answer- use em in any sequence that you want
Yes I agree that the rules say you can use them in any sequence. But that is different from whether you have allocated them all first and then choose the sequence, or whether you allocate them one at time and determine the effect before allocating the next one. With the former you cannot change your mind about which set of units to activate, with the latter you can.

I think we are doing it the right way as in my OP but just wanted to check.

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

game I saw they were all allocated then activated once they were all spent.
Not saying it was definitive but it made sense - also makes the game faster

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

I've been putting the dice beside the leaders I want to have a go during the phase then removing them when that team/eection has completed it's actions, that way I know when I'm done with my phase.

EvilGinger

Post by EvilGinger »

I would be inclined to allocate one and use it then proceed to the next one at least in solo play where I am very bad at losing where I am these days I am sadly yet to have a face to face game & may want to do the allocation then the use all all at once to speed things along.

:evil: Ginger
Dark lord at large....

Tom Ballou

Post by Tom Ballou »

In our game, we found it was best to roll the dice, sort out the 5 and 6s. Then allocate the dice to units. Once this was done the order of activation was up to the player, and as they finished the activation, they pick up the die.

It kept it clear and simple for us as we dug through the rules. :oops:

--Tom
--Tom

Never drive a car when you're dead
--Tom Waits "Telephone Call From Istanbul"

Kustenjaeger

Post by Kustenjaeger »

Greetings

My reading of 4.2.1 'Having rolled the Command Dice, the player decides which Units or Leaders he wishes to activate or deploy using those dice' is that you allocate the command dice prior to resolving - but you can then resolve sequentially or all at once - and what the Unit or Leader does with its/his activation may well depend on an earlier resolution if that's what you want to do.

I also note that Rich and Nick in their example games are fairly happy to not use command dice where they don't think they'll get much benefit out of it.

Regards

Edward

Derek H

Post by Derek H »

What Kustenjaeger said. Allocate all your command dice (or choose not to allocate them) and then use them in any order you wish. And no changing your mind re allocation once you've started using the the things.

And if you've allocated a dice to bring a unit on to the table it comes on to the table, whatever happens beforehand.

At least that's the way we play it. .
All the Lard News in one place - Lard Central http://www.netvibes.com/lardcentral
Pimping my blog - Dereks Wee Toys http://dereksweetoys.com/

Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Roll dice. Allocate them all, THEN use them in any sequence you like. That seems to be the intent of the rules as people above have mentioned.

Rolf