Question...

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

DougE

Question...

Post by DougE »

Concerning roadblocks.

Is the size of roadblocks the same as barbed wire? 2x6?

Noticed that with the British North Africa and DAK Support lists, roadblocks are 1pt each, while other support lists are 2pts each.
Why the difference?
Thanks,

Doug

Truscott Trotter

Re: Question...

Post by Truscott Trotter »

There is no size specified in the rules. We make ours slightly wider than the road and as deep as needed to hold the diorama/model - usually 1-2" deep.
I can't answer the second question as those lists are old ones it may have been a typo as every other list esp the latest ones have them as 2 points.

They are the least useful of the defence works as you need both a bottleneck with impassable terrain either side and a mission that forces your opponent to go down the road to win.
Otherwise the vehicles - if he has any - simply go around or stay back from the roadblock and shoot.

For example in my Calais campaign there will be a couple of missions where roadblocks can play a role on bridges or in towns.

DougE

Post by DougE »

Thanks.
Minefields and barbed wire obstacles are the main ones I'm working on for North Africa, thought maybe 1 or 2 roadblocks but I see my error in that, unless like you said, bottleneck with terrain either side or mission specific.
Thanks,

Doug

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

While I suspect that TT may be correct and the cost of a roadblock in those lists is a typo, I wonder if it’s deliberate given the nature of the terrain those armies fought in makes a road block of probably less use than in the closed terrain of Normandy.

John

Truscott Trotter

Archdukek wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:36 am
While I suspect that TT may be correct and the cost of a roadblock in those lists is a typo, I wonder if it’s deliberate given the nature of the terrain those armies fought in makes a road block of probably less use than in the closed terrain of Normandy.

John
Nice logic....but experience says my money is on typo :lol:

Truscott Trotter

FWIW I detailed bigger roadblocks for my Polish AK lists to reflect the actual items. In Warsaw they made large roadblocks out of rubble, paving , furniture, vehicles and even disabled AFV's - they were too high to see over - kinda like man made bocage.

john de terre neuve

Post by john de terre neuve »

I agree they are not much use, especially if the enemy has no vehicles. They provide cover to infantry (as recently discussed) but do not prevent infantry from crossing (maybe a linear obstacle depending on the type).

John

JOHN BOND 001

Post by JOHN BOND 001 »

Heard and read accounts of vehicles retreating in a long column on a road in open flat terrain in North Africa where some of the drivers thought they would be smart to just not bother to stick to the road and started travelling along the rough desert floor only to have there tyres punctured by sharp small rocks and became stranded.
If the terrain adjacent to the road block was classed as very rough , rough or sandy with a chance of rolling for bogging then a road block would be useful.

Truscott Trotter

The ground adjacent to most road blocks was also mined, if the engineers had been doing their jobs properly 😋