FO replacement

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Seret

Re: FO replacement

Post by Seret »

polish lancer wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:21 am

In light of what I am see we may need to invoke house rules and at least allow the SL to interact with the battery.
Why? The Germans made the decision to withdraw. They didn't have to. They've accepted the penalties from withdrawing (loss of COs opinion and losing a campaign turn) and personally I don't think it was a good trade.

I don't think bringing in house rules because of a dubious decision one player made is a good idea.

I've had more than a few games of CoC where Plan A has gone massively tits up early on. The thing I've learnt is to actually have a Plan B, or be able to improvise one quickly. Some of my best games have been the ones where the fortunes swung wildly and a side that felt it was on the ropes went on to win. In campaigns it's always a fine balance between cutting your losses or "stay and play". Sometimes the latter pays off spectacularly, sometimes it's just made a bad situation worse. Honestly I'm still learning to judge that one after years of playing!

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Nicely put Seret.👍

john de terre neuve

Post by john de terre neuve »

Nicely said indeed!

Capt Fortier

Post by Capt Fortier »

Hear! Hear!
Capt Fortier

“Frapper l'ennemi, c'est bien. Frapper l'imagination, c'est mieux.” - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

polish lancer

Post by polish lancer »

Well, put and certain gives me something to think about. I am not a fan of creating rules to cater for a bad experience. The fact that I managed to kill the FOO was just lucky for me and not him. I think the Germans (2 players) are having a hard time working as a team. We are on the second table for the Von Luck campaign and it is turn 4. In each game of this table they have placed a "bait' squad" to try and draw me out and it has, and I have all but destroyed their bait before they can counter. But each time the bait is placed it comes in unsupported, so sadly they don't see it and it leads to some frustration that my all conquering 3 Section (2 brens) is pasting them.
Now the FOO is riding around in a halftrack to try and stop me shooting at him. I did try and ambush with my piat team but sadly missed. I rolled 4 6's and the rain came, the Germans started to advance and I used a CoC to stop the rain, leaving the Germans in the open. Managed to deploy all my infantry and it was not a pretty for the Germans.
So far no Schleppers have been seen!

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

The bait squad 'tactic' doesn't work in CoC.
An unsupported squad even in hard cover is free FM points to your opponent. Even if it is a 4th suppprt squad it's loss still hurts.

Munin

Post by Munin »

Deploying a squad as bait is also a very "gamey" tactic. It's one thing to make a feint, it's quite another to simply expect a squad to get chewed up. That's...generally not how real militaries operate. And FWIW, I think CoC is a well-designed system in that it punishes this kind of a-historical gaminess.

In order to advance, the Germans need to take advantage of covering fire, smoke, and any numerical advantage they can glean with their extra support squads. They don't have to kill the Brits, they just have to get across the table.

Seret

Post by Seret »

polish lancer wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:34 pm
In each game of this table they have placed a "bait' squad" to try and draw me out and it has, and I have all but destroyed their bait before they can counter.
Hopefully they're going to see the error of their ways soon then!

Having a single squad chewed up tends to concede enough force morale for it to be game over, or at least pretty much cripple your platoon. If they want to get you to deploy, better off advancing in strength. If they deployed two mutually supporting squads they'll last a lot longer, and it still gives them one (maybe in a halftrack) to do the sprint to the try line.