Do Vehicles count as a Team when trying to win a "Probe" game ?

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

blandj

Do Vehicles count as a Team when trying to win a "Probe" game ?

Post by blandj »

Hi everyone - a bit of help/ advice required please.
Scenario 2 (page 75) states for the Objective that "The attacker's objective is to move one Team to the enemy's baseline" in order to win.

However, page 10 of the ChoC rulebook states that "Team: The term "Team" is used when referring to a smaller Unit, such as the LMG team or rifle team, which make up part of the infantry Section, anti-tank teams such as the Panzershreck, Bazooka or PIAT teams often found in a platoon; or stand-alone weapon Teams such as MMG teams, scout Teams or light mortar teams."

NOWHERE are vehicles (including tanks) mentioned in this list on page 10. I've therefore always assumed that vehicles aren't included in the list of things which can win a Probe game, as vehicles can't hold ground; only infantry can do that.

Am I correct in this assumption ? Do you agree that a vehicle doesn't count as a team in this instance ?
OR - have I played this rule wrong ?

Any and all thoughts on this subject gratefully received - thanks.

Peter

Re: Do Vehicles count as a Team when trying to win a "Probe" game ?

Post by Peter »

I'd allow a vehicle to count.

blandj

Post by blandj »

OK - thanks Peter.
What do others think ?

siggian

Post by siggian »

Yes, I'd count a vehicle as a team for the purposes of winning the Probe scenario.

It's the foundation of the Blitzkrieg: driving an armoured force through the enemy to get to the rear areas without stopping to mop up. If anything, an armoured car or tank rampaging through the rear areas is even more terrifying than a team or section doing it.

So given that you win the probe scenario by getting a team across the enemy baseline, a tank getting across the baseline would cause equal or greater concern about getting flanked or having unsecure rear areas than an infantry team would (especially when a "team" could be as small as a single figure).

Levi the Ox

Post by Levi the Ox »

I'd count any vehicle with crewed weapons. A transport vehicle with only a driver isn't good enough, but a mounted MG on a halftrack or carrier would suffice.

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

I wouldn't count an empty transport but otherise yes.

As a defender it is always good to have a roadblock or some mines and a few satchel charges.

blandj

Post by blandj »

Thanks to everyone for their replies - very helpful. I’ll go with the general consensus in that case and change my view on this subject. From now on a vehicle reaching the enemy baseline WILL count as a win in a Probe scenario. Thanks again for taking the time to respond.
Best Wishes to all, John.

john de terre neuve

Post by john de terre neuve »

I have hardly ever been able to win a probe scenario without a vehicle!

Neil Todd

Post by Neil Todd »

We only allow it if it is a recognised Recce vehicle

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Well a wheeled recce vehicle would be the ideal vehicle for a quick and dirty probe win ☺

My French opponent has learned to block all roads and take plenty of champagne bottles full of petrol with him as he is sick of seeing German armoured cars and motorbikes roaring down the boulevard and ignoring all the speed limits 😉