Questions

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

polish lancer

Questions

Post by polish lancer »

So we started the mini campaign Kampfgruppe von Luck last night.

So the Germans deployed a squad into the wheat field and on over watch to their front. The Para's seeing an opportunity to deploy a section on the opposite flank and out of the overwatch arc do so with 3 section and an SL. Now at what point does the wheat offer cover? Two trains of thought here. One being that you don't get cover at deployment as you are considered to be moving, and other is if the latter is correct then you gain cover at the end of the phase?

As 3 section has 2 Brens, I used the SL to use his command initiative to direct pin point fire. In the next phase I rolled another 4 thus activating the SL, but was told I could not use his command initiative again, even though it was a new phase. After some debate it was used.

In the German phase they deployed 2 more squads to deal with the Para's on the flank, and again the cover issue came up..... In the end they receive light cover. 38 dice later they have 2 pins and 1 dead.

Not much happens for the German now as the next 5 phases go the Para's was double six rolled constantly. All the Para's deploy and rip apart 1 squad, kill a JL, wound another. Germans crash to 1 force morale and the open scenario goes to the Para's.

Truscott Trotter

Re: Questions

Post by Truscott Trotter »

I would give them cover on deployment

john de terre neuve

Post by john de terre neuve »

I agree fully with TT. We discussed this some time ago on the forum.

Ari Marsson

Post by Ari Marsson »

Why on earth would you not be able to use the SL's command Initiatives again in the next phase?

frpat

Post by frpat »

Not quite certain here - the SL is directing one Bren team to concentrate fire, yes? So he is attached to that team.
I take it the JL is attached to the other team? Could be nasty for the receiving team, though a little risky committing a SL to possible injury so early.

Seret

Post by Seret »

Those wheat fields give cover to anybody who isn't moving. Deploying is not moving, because you can fire when deploying. Deploying troops just means revealing them, they might have been there all along. Moving is actually the only thing you're not allowed to do when deploying.

The only time the wheat doesn't give cover is if the troops are caught while moving, such as by overwatch or using an interupt.

I don't quite understand why you're opponent thought you couldn't use the SL's initiatives again. Whether you use a 4 to activate an SL you get to use their initiatives.

That's the first time I've heard of the Brits winning that scenario, they're not really supposed to win as they're generally very understrength. Did you dice for the missing paras? It's not unusual for them to have only a bit over half their platoon for this scenario.

john de terre neuve

Post by john de terre neuve »

That's the first time I've heard of the Brits winning that scenario, they're not really supposed to win as they're generally very understrength. Did you dice for the missing paras? It's not unusual for them to have only a bit over half their platoon for this scenario.
I agree it sounds quite peculiar!

polish lancer

Post by polish lancer »

Brits had 1 section. We diced for the others. Got the rifle team from 2 section and all of 3 section. Plus SL and piat team. So quite a few Para's.

Seret

Post by Seret »

Wow, they got very lucky then!