3", 80mm, 81mm Mortars, are they over powered?

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Iztvan

Re: 3", 80mm, 81mm Mortars, are they over powered?

Post by Iztvan »

Truscott Trotter wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:52 pm
Yup one of our major issues..
We made the beaten zone have a variable componenet, (rolled each phase) +1D6" so if you get too close you risk being hit.
Sounds reasonable. I was thinking an automatic 1d6" scatter at the start of each bombardment in a random direction. That's kind of similar.

Or perhaps - all friendly teams take 1d6 (or 2d6?) shock minus distance from beaten area in inches - i.e. if you are within 6" (12") you risk shock. Feels a bit clunky as a rules mechanism, though...
Twitter @Staffan_G

Levi the Ox

Post by Levi the Ox »

Truscott Trotter wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:52 pm
Yup one of our major issues..
We made the beaten zone have a variable componenet, (rolled each phase) +1D6" so if you get too close you risk being hit.
Nice! I'd been thinking similar.

chris cornwell

Post by chris cornwell »

I played a similar variable beaten zone idea but ditched it in the end because it just extended the “hugging” point by 6” and wasn’t really worth the extra fiddle.
The only house rules I’ve used is upping the SP cost to 5sp, but also kept in a smaller barrage (12 x12”) at 4 SP to represent a 2 tube support such as German company mortars in some scenarios.
Also only allowing a barrage to walk if the FO can actually spot a target to walk it onto to. So no calling it in on one unit and then dropping it back 6” onto troops the troops the FO doesn’t know are there.