Stukas and German vehicles

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

gbaylis1957

Stukas and German vehicles

Post by gbaylis1957 »

Does a Stuka attack mean that the German player must also roll to see if his vehicles can deploy?

I understand that the vehicle deployment effect continues throughout the game, not just turn 1. Is this correct?

Thanks

Graham

Truscott Trotter

Re: Stukas and German vehicles

Post by Truscott Trotter »

I was going to say No the German player doesn't roll.
Then I reread the rule.
Unlike the infantry effect it does not specify allied.
And yes it does continue for the whole game.

Seret

Post by Seret »

It's a variation on the pre-game bombardment and as such it only affects enemy forces. If it also affected friendly ones that would be a pretty big difference and would be mentioned specifically.

gbaylis1957

Post by gbaylis1957 »

Hi. Thanks for the info. Still confused as they other reply stated the opposite, in that the German vehicles would not be effected.

If they are that raises the issue that the allied vehicles could find it easier to deploy , if they bought AA support, something that the German player cant buy.

Look for a logical answer here if that is possible?

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

I agree with Andy (Seret). The preamble description clearly describes the Stuka Attack as a variation on the pre-game bombardment. In that case any restrictions on deployment only applies to Allied troops, I don’t think that needs specifically stating myself.
As you point out it wouldn’t be logical to require the Germans to take AA assets to mitigate the effect of their own Stuka Attacks.

John

Truscott Trotter

Refugees and rubble (the stuka effect that impacts on vehicle movement) do not recognise flags.....just sayin 😂

gbaylis1957

Post by gbaylis1957 »

Many thanks for all the comments here and I can see both sides of the debate here.

As ever be interesting for Richard to comment (know he is too busy for such things though), but have seen him playing a game on UTube video where the Germans AVF's were not affected by a Stuka attack, but that could have just been an ommision.

What we have decided to do is to make the Germans have to roll as well, BUT if there is allied AA they also benefit from this, adding the 1 or 2 to the die when rolling to deploy, after all, AA fire will make the Stuka's less effective, and that makes it more likely to deploy regardless of nationality.

If later on there is a ruling on the matter or a more definite agreement in the debtate, we will change to suit.

Many thanks to all :D

MLB

Post by MLB »

I’ve always understood it to work like a pregame barrage and only impact the opposing side. We have played it this way and seen this effect as the result of Stuka attacks further back down the line (ie behind the enemy lines) and therefore unlikely to effect friendly deployment. I’d be very surprised if that wasn’t the intention of the rule.
The Tactical Painter https://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com
Painting little soldiers for tactical battles on the table top

Corvusboreus

Post by Corvusboreus »

I can see validity in both viewpoints.
Perhaps an easy compromise solution would be to have German vehicles roll for deployment, to represent the general disruptive effect of bombing (rubble etc), but to give them favourable modifiers (ala AA guns) to represent the fact that they are not the ones being targeted.
Walk softly and carry a big fish.

Truscott Trotter

I think MLB is correct however I can see why the OP asked the question.
We certainly played it that way - but then when I use Stukas I tend not to use AFV's at the same time due to cost.