Needed: German CO to pick supports

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

donglewwe

Needed: German CO to pick supports

Post by donglewwe »

I'm planning to play a (solo) game this weekend: US attacking Germans, Scenario 4 - Delaying Action.

The action is based on the US 117th Rgt moving through the bocage after crossing the Vire River on 7 July, meeting ad hoc delaying elements of Kampfgruppe Heinz set up around a farm complex on a hill.

Rather than just roll dice, I hoped one of you would be kind enough to spend a few minutes (pretending to be the German CO) allocating supports to this particular unit comprised of:
SL w/smg, Panzerschreck team (2 men), 2x JLs w/smg, 4x LMG teams (2 men each), and 20 riflemen.
You have 7 points to spend on (the usual arsenal) stuff that you think makes sense for such a group/mission.
A bonus (for me) would be if you also chose how to organize the few troops you've got.
If you really want to go crazy, you can add preferences for patrolling with an eye towards JOPs.

Not much to work with, but it's raining and the ground is soggy, so US armor and aircraft shouldn't be an issue. Also, I'm allocating an off-table MG to cover the full-edge field on your left (North) flank that may fire (10d) on a German phase roll of 5 (as per the rule in the Blitzkrieg book).

I put some photos of the table (at least I think I did...) over at https://brawlfactory.net/2020/06/29/7-july-44/ if that would help.
(I know, I'm breaking the scenario 'rule' by setting the attack width- rather than length-wise, but since the table is 5.5' deep it'll work...?)

Just drop me a PM with your suggestions.

Thanks in advance,
Don
Last edited by donglewwe on Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Levi the Ox

Re: Needed: German CO to pick supports

Post by Levi the Ox »

Well I can't actually get to your blog at the moment (wordpress login issues), so I can't comment on the terrain, but I do have some thoughts on a unit breakdown. Since you've got essentially a full platoon but limited leadership, I'd organize the personnel one of two ways:

If there's an obvious defensive point with few avenues of approach, 2 JL-led squads each of 2 4- or 5-person MG teams is a stiff forward defense, and the remaining 8-12 rifle-armed soldiers can be a single counterattack squad that hangs back with the SL.

Otherwise, I'd do two normal JL-led squads each with a 3-person MG team and a 6-person rifle team, and then two independent 5-person MG teams, since that will let you cover a lot of ground with a lot of firepower.

Support-wise, an entrenchment or two to allow your troops to still get hard cover outside the farm complex (since it's a likely target for a mortar barrage) wouldn't go wrong.

eatU4myT

Post by eatU4myT »

One JL with 2 4/5 man MG teams is essential, for static firepower, and entrenchments seem obvious for them. I'd probably do that twice, but you may be a bit more flexible with the other JL having a normal squad with an MG team and a rifle team.
A counterattacking group following the SL around sounds sensible, which potentially leaves one independent 5 man MG team.
An adjutant would help, as the SL will need to get on-table.
No point taking any supports that need a 1 to activate, as the SL will be busy and you may well have a leaderless team already from the core platoon.
An infantry gun comes with a JL so that could be good.

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

The Standard German Arsenal has a SL in list 2 that would be my first choice , followed by another MMG team and maybe some entrenchments - also wire/mines are handy for funnelling an attack into your killing zone.

donglewwe

Post by donglewwe »

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

"I can't actually get to your blog at the moment (wordpress login issues)..."
Does anyone else have this problem? I didn't know there was a login feature...?

Truscott Trotter

Yup link dodnt work for me either

donglewwe

Post by donglewwe »

Fixed it ( I think...).

Jfuller39

Post by Jfuller39 »

Worked just fine for me now. Good looking table. I hope you have a good game. I don’t have experience enough for suggestions but love reading everyone’s tabletop exploits!

Ps...what scale is that? 15mm?

Truscott Trotter

Yup works now, looks like 6mm to me?

donglewwe

Post by donglewwe »

15mm. Using the game's ground scale makes it easy to cheat with layout/design: I just use Google Earth to locate an interesting spot in the battle area, overlay a 200x250 meter outline (my table size), and then trace. A fair amount of fudging is required to allow for the use of my (cloth) field pieces and such, but for the most part it works fine.