Eastern Front Partisans

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Baldie

Re: Eastern Front Partisans

Post by Baldie »

Our hobby is unfortunately based on one of the worst things to happen between two groups.
I doubt the two families of cavemen bashing out each others brains felt any better about things than the people all round the world killing each other right now.

That said somethings are more distasteful than othesr escpecially when seen in the light of your own background and upbringing.

I am pretty comfortable playing most things and in my mind can separate reality from a game.

I do wonder what my grandparents thought when I was dressing action man as a panzer commander in their front room.
Interests

Getting slaughtered by a surprising amount of opponents.

7dot62mm

Post by 7dot62mm »

Osprey has a brand new "Soviet Partisan vs. German Security Troops" or some such in their Combat series.

Seret

Post by Seret »

Baldie wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:32 am
Our hobby is unfortunately based on one of the worst things to happen between two groups.
I doubt the two families of cavemen bashing out each others brains felt any better about things than the people all round the world killing each other right now.
Funny that you'd mention that. I've been tinkering with some rules for cavemen bashing each other, and one of the most important things to getting the right feel was trying to represent why a caveman would go bash someone's skull in. It wasn't for land, or a flag, or anything like that. I think in a wargame that you want to feel connected to the real world (and not just some "line up your toys and blaze away" thing) then you need to represent the motivations of the troops.

If part of that was ideological then that should probably be in the game IMO. But at the same time, it is a game and you've got to be respectful that these were real things that happened to real people.

edleland

Post by edleland »

7dot62mm wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:52 am
Osprey has a brand new "Soviet Partisan vs. German Security Troops" or some such in their Combat series.
Yes they do and it’s actually pretty good. The author is Alexander Hill who’s an academic working in this area. Unfortunately most of the other Ospreys about Partisans are primarily picture books...