How many of my squad can fire, or how many figs per cm of front?

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

siggian

Re: How many of my squad can fire, or how many figs per cm of front?

Post by siggian »

I hear you TT. I used to stricter about this sort of thing but I've adopted a more a more loose and social interpretation after teaching the rules a number of times. I'd be perfectly happy playing it your way too.

EDIT: by your way, I do also mean RAW.

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Yup if you were going to allow it ( and I see no problem with a suitable errata) then I would apply the shooting/moving penalty to the whole team not just the moving figures. KIss 😍

Tomm

Post by Tomm »

I think 1 CI for "Squad to fire" would permit those not in a position to fire to move so they could. So if they moved 1d6, those would fire at half effecct, 2d6, not fire. Activating as a section is less adaptable, so wouldn't

Truscott Trotter

Yes many subtle ways of changing it which is why we play this one RAW!

Also good incentive for you to pay attention to how you position your troops or a suitable reward for your opponents cunning maneuvering

Contrarius

Post by Contrarius »

Tomm wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 10:06 pm
I think 1 CI for "Squad to fire" would permit those not in a position to fire to move so they could. So if they moved 1d6, those would fire at half effecct, 2d6, not fire. Activating as a section is less adaptable, so wouldn't
I suspect it depends a lot on the morale and training of the unit: some men would be keen to get into action and would voluntarily bring themselves up to the firing line. Several famous studies have shown, however, that prior to the Vietnam war most men did not fire willingly in combat; rather they would go to ground and keep their heads down.

Seems reasonable then that bringing up men into the firing line would require a leader, so perhaps that 1 CI for "squad to fire or move up to fire" is only possible upon a Leader activation on a '3' or '4'?

Not quite sure how it would work in sections activated on a '2' or in officerless teams activated on a '1'. Individual men in such cases would still have two or three actions (Move tactically, Move at the double, Move and Fire at half effect, etc) which would allow them to move up 1D6 to fire at half effect or 2D6 and not fire. Perhaps the half-effect/no fire penalty should then apply to the entire squad or team?

Truscott Trotter

Uh-huh

Contrarius

Post by Contrarius »

Come to think of it, the JL or SL would have to be physically within 4” of the squad to issue a “squad to fire or move up and fire” command. He is personally kicking laggers in the proverbial butt, which would be hard to do if not actually with the squad in question.

I can see why Rich decided not to bother putting this explicitly in the rules, lol.

Levi the Ox

Post by Levi the Ox »

Just activate the unit (team or squad) to move and fire at half effect. Use the movement distance to adjust the formation, then roll the shooting.

Seret

Post by Seret »

Levi the Ox wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 7:03 pm
Just activate the unit (team or squad) to move and fire at half effect. Use the movement distance to adjust the formation, then roll the shooting.
This seems like a good way to do it. Any men that need to move can move 1d6 and then the whole lot fire at half effect. No fiddling with the rules required.

Contrarius

Post by Contrarius »

I’m a compulsive fiddler. Just can’t help it. :P

Anyways. I’m now happy to have figured out my own house rule which makes sense and adds a little more detail to the rules, which are sometimes a little too low-res for my tastes.

Basically this:
If you have a JL or SL actually with a Section (i.e. within 4 inches) then on a die roll of 3 or respectively 4, the ordinary Fire activation (one C.I.) allows you to fire any stationary figures at full effect, and to bring up any stragglers 1D6 to the firing line and fire them at half effect, or 2D6 and not fire them. This option is not available when the Section is Green or is activated as a Section on a throw of 2. This simulates the important role of NCOs in maintaining firing discipline.

Yeah, I know. That’s why I don’t write wargames rules for a living. :lol: