China Sino-Japanese war, 1930’s

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Novista

China Sino-Japanese war, 1930’s

Post by Novista »

I’m looking at reading about the above, any ideas for decent books, also lists for the Chinese army nationalist/Maoist, being almost ignorant to the situation doesn’t help when trying to describe an era. Apologies for the woolly description.

Len Tracey

Re: China Sino-Japanese war, 1930’s

Post by Len Tracey »

G'day mate,
Globally, WW2 actually started in China in 1937 when the Japanese went overt in their invasion. The battles for Shanghai & Nanjing followed soon after. Shanghai was an immense urban battle that went for nearly three months - sometimes dubbed the "Stalingrad of the east". The Chinese army gave a good account of itself in this battle. Nanjing was a more tragic affair. What many people don't realize is that the vast majority of the Japanese Army was tied down fighting in China for the duration of the war. The Pacific was a IJN theatre with some support from the IJA, while the Burma - India theatre was a secondary effort.
With regard to forces and organisation. Kangzhan by Leland Ness is the bible for Chinese organisation & weapons for that period. For the Japanese, his two volume Rikugun does the same service. They are somewhat technical books but the research and detail is superb. Apart from some fairly reasonable Osprey titles on the subject, Soldiers of the White Sun is probably the easiest book to get on China's war at the time.
Richard is looking at including the China theatre in the upcoming Asia-Pacific handbook.
The Asia-Pacific War is a bit of a hobby of mine, so happy to help if I can.
Cheers,
Len

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

My start point would be
Kangzhan
Guide to Chinese ground forces 1937-45
Leland Ness with Bin Shih.
Followed by
Nanking 1937 Battle for a Doomed City
Peter Harmsen.

Novista

Post by Novista »

Cheers gents,Thanks for the offer Len, TT has mentioned it’s your thing before, once again the Leland ness book is astronomical however £12 on kindle sounds good, (TT and others had pointed me towards Rikugan b4). I’ve ordered 4 osprey titles, couldn’t wait. :) And have been researching figures... on a wistful tip, I’m dreaming of sculpting some...bah! The frustrated gamer strikes again!
Ooh found it on naval-military for £7.99 + p&p

batesmotel34

Post by batesmotel34 »

At least in the Us, the kindle versions on Rikigun have been on sale at times.

Chris

Truscott Trotter

No Rikagun so much as Kangzan the one on Chinese forces. £6 on kindle when I got it

gebhk

Post by gebhk »

Peter Harmsen's Shanghai 1937. Stalingrad on the Yangtze (Casemate 2013) is another 'must'.

There is also a lengthy Japanese contemporaneous film floating around on the web. Unlike much of the WW2 dross, the Japanese went out of their way to show all the various arms and services involved in an 'anatomy' of the battle.

Truscott Trotter

Yes second vote for Harmsens other volume both Nanking and Shanghai worth a read.

Len Tracey

Post by Len Tracey »

I'll vote got Harmsen's books as well!!

MLB

Post by MLB »

This is an excellent selection of essays by historians from US and China, with much recent scholarship. It goes from big picture discussion right down to morale of particular divisions.
https://www.bookdepository.com/Battle-f ... 685&sr=1-1
The Tactical Painter https://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com
Painting little soldiers for tactical battles on the table top