CoC for the Six Day War 1967 - help please!

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Corktip100

CoC for the Six Day War 1967 - help please!

Post by Corktip100 »

Hi all,

I've been lurking here for ages, but I've just started a new project and I'd like your input.

I want to use CoC for playing the Six Day War. Writing the Orders of Battle is a task in itself, but the key question for me is how to write the National Characteristics. I have a couple of ideas for the Israeli Defence Forces, and I was wondering if I could get your opinions. Here are my ideas:

"Aharai" (After Me)
The IDF is steeped with a concept of collective responsibility, and Israeli troops respond well to officers who lead from the front (usually with the cry "Aharai!").

When a Senior Leader (Platoon Officer or above) is attached to a Team and uses two or more Command Initiatives to activate the Team, the Team will fight as if its shock were reduced by the same number (Note: the shock is not actually reduced).

Flexible Command

The IDF of the 1960s was an informal organisation (marching and saluting were rare), but there was great emphasis on speed, improvisation and flexibility of command. Junior leaders were trained and encouraged to take charge and make quick decisions.

Once during a game, if the Platoon Commander (Senior Leader) is killed outright, one Junior Leader (chosen at random) will take charge of the platoon, and will function as a Senior Leader, starting in the next friendly phase.

I am still trying to come up with Characteristics for the Arab forces, although the Egyptian and Syrian armies will share some similarities with Soviet forces.

What do you think - please be brutal!

Cheers

Dave

Arlequín

Re: CoC for the Six Day War 1967 - help please!

Post by Arlequín »

I don't think there's any need for anyone to be brutal. ;)

I know very little about the conflict, other than a somewhat basic overview. For me though you've hit on the main difference between the IDF and its enemies; leadership and morale.

Man for man, I doubt that the typical IDF soldier was really that different to his Arab counterpart, albeit that the IDF training would generally produce a slightly more competent soldier on average. Nevertheless the IDF still got its share of 'bad bargains' amongst its conscripts. Obviously the Israelis had quite a degree of 'sense of purpose' that was not often shared by the Arabs he was facing.

My impression, right or wrong, is that Israeli officers led their men by example (hence their high casualty rate), while the Arabs commanded theirs, pretty much like most armies. While the Arabs used Soviet equipment and received training, their actual tactics and doctrine were far more like 'U.S. style western armies'. The Israelis ironically conformed more to German WWII styles and the Jordanians somewhere in between with a mix of British and American outlooks on how to fight a war.

I gather that at the sharp end, some of the engagements were a lot less one-sided than you might imagine and it was less of a walkover for the Israelis at this level than we tend to think. It was the strategic elements of surprise, manoeuvre and control of the air which won the war.

I wish you luck with this, all things considered, the Arab-Israeli Wars are very under-represented in the wargames world!

Corktip100

Post by Corktip100 »

Hi there Arlequin,

That's good info, thank you. I'm reading Michael Oren's history of the war, and he's made some interesting observations about the quality of the leadership of (in particular) the Egyptians. It would appear that officers were often appointed for political reliability rather than tactical ability (no surprise there ;) ), and in fact some subalterns were appointed specifically for their incompetence.

Leaving this second point aside for a moment, this could be simulated by the following rule for the UAR forces:

Loyalty and Reliability
Officers were often appointed for their loyalty to the high command rather than ability to lead troops in the field.

Once the UAR's force has been selected, each Senior Leader is checked for their competence. Roll 1D6. On a 1-3, the number of Command Initiatives available to that leader is reduced by one (therefore, Ranking Senior Leaders have 3 instead of 4, Senior Leaders have 2 rather than 3).

Updating one of my original rules for the IDF, Arlequin's point about the high casualty rate for junior officers should be simulated:

"Aharai" (After Me)
The IDF is steeped with a concept of collective responsibility, and Israeli troops respond well to officers who lead from the front (usually with the cry "Aharai!").

When a Senior Leader (Platoon Officer or above) is attached to a Team and uses two or more Command Initiatives to activate the Team, the Team will fight as if its shock were reduced by the same number (Note: the shock is not actually reduced).

However, this leads the officer to be vulnerable. If a Senior Leader activates a Team with the Aharai rule, he remains vulnerable for the remainder of the current Turn. If the Senior Leader is hit as a result of fire on the Team to which he is attached, the roll to determine his fate is reduced by one (hence, he will be killed on a 1 or 2, seriously wounded on a 3 to 4, and lightly wounded on a 5 or 6).

I am trying to create a similar rule for Israeli tank commanders, who had a habit of fighting exposed in their cupola rather than buttoned up. This will give a bonus for spotting (and maybe even gunfire), but the commanders are very much more vulnerable, even in the case of a non-penetrating hit or a near miss. However, I need to be more familiar with the rules for vehicles before I can get this right.

Any suggestions are gratefully received!

Cheers

Dave

john de terre neuve

Post by john de terre neuve »

I'm reading Michael Oren's history of the war
Not trying to be political, but I would have thought that a less biased POV might be found.

Good luck with it though, it sounds like an interesting project.

John

Corktip100

Post by Corktip100 »

john de terre neuve wrote:
I would have thought that a less biased POV might be found.

John
I initially thought so too, but so far I have been pleasantly surprised. I'm scouring my local library for any and all books on the subject (some of which are less than stellar).

The next on my list, if I can get my hands on them, are Elusive Victory by Trevor N Dupuy and Swift Sword by S.L.A. Marshall. Apparently they both address the purely military aspects of the conflict and I'm hoping they'll give some useful guidance.

Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Hi Dave,

I have a very keen interest in the AIW...a good amount of stuff on it.

I recommend you get a hold of Pollack's Arabs at War. It is very good and I think essential for understanding the Arab military culture and reasons for their lack of success for the most part.

You can get a kindle edition for nicks....grab it!!

http://www.amazon.com/Arabs-War-Militar ... abs+at+war

Cheers

Rolf

Corktip100

Post by Corktip100 »

Hi Rolf,

Thanks for that info, it's just the sort of thing I've been looking for! Already ordered from Amazon!

Cheers! :D

Dave

Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Hey Dave,

...I know it's an old post....but...

How far did you get with your 1967 Arab-Israeli War project? You had some good ideas rolling along there. Any info would be appreciated.

Cheers

R