French Flamethrowers in WW2

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

chris cornwell

Re: French Flamethrowers in WW2

Post by chris cornwell »

I have put up my house rules for them before, but they seem to work quite well.
First off I don’t make them available at all unless the scenario requires it, so defenders will never get to see one, and attackers only if they are up against a dug in defence/town assault.
Other than that:
Can’t be used as an ambusher.
Can’t move and fire (unless vehicle mounted then fires half dice)
only counts it’s fullattack against troops in an enclosed space (trenches, buildings, bunkers). Against troops in any other circumstances only counts half the attack die. So a moving vehicle against troops in the open only gets 1/4 effect. (Still full hit effect, double shock etc)
Can only be used against stationary vehicles. If the vehicle moved in it’s last phase then it can’t be targeted.
Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Sounds good to me, although the first point is interesting as not all scenarios have defenders?
eatU4myT

Post by eatU4myT »

Then neither side get them. Two patrols meeting by chance are not going to be lugging flamethrowers around!
BaronVonWreckedoften

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

Contrarius wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:25 am Perhaps someone knows a little about the Italian campaign in North Africa vs the Brits? Would be interesting to know if the Brits captured any.
There is one in the Tank Museum, at Bovington; it's an L3/33, specifically an L3 Lf (lancia flamme), which was based on the Carden-Lloyd carrier, built in Italy under licence. My memory isn't what it was, but I do seem to recall a little notice on the vehicle saying something to the effect that they had to halt to fire, because the vehicle was faster than the jet of flame and if they were moving there was a danger of them driving into their own burst. There's no record of them being used against British/Commonwealth troops in N Africa.
No plan survives first contact with the dice.
chris cornwell

Post by chris cornwell »

eatU4myT wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:56 am Then neither side get them. Two patrols meeting by chance are not going to be lugging flamethrowers around!
Exactly, or even a probe. Ft’s get dished out for set piece attacks... and very few units had them as even battalion assets. They didn’t just happen to be knocking about.

There is an exception to all of this, being that if the core platoon were assault pioneer types I’d give them much more lee- way...and of course USMC who are a world of their own.
Contrarius

Post by Contrarius »

chris cornwell wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:13 pm

There is an exception to all of this, being that if the core platoon were assault pioneer types I’d give them much more lee- way...
No coincidence then, that Flames of War and Bolt Action players seem to field an amazing amount of assault pio platoons. And in 28mm Assault Pio figures sell disproportionately well. Just a shame that no one has cottoned on to this phenomenon in 1/72, which is poorly served with usable plastic pioneer figures.
Truscott Trotter

There are plenty of Assault Pioneers for Germans, Soviets and some for Italians not so much.for the others armies and none for Japanese

Having said that I managed to build/convert some figures for my Brit Paras and Commandos that did actually use assaulty type engineers so I guess I will do the same with my Japanese :D
andysyk

Post by andysyk »

If you game in 28mm The Assault Group sells seperate weapon packs at very reasonable prices which contain all sorts of useful bits. Because Ive been using mainly Warlord plastics Ive saved a fortune buying MMGs , Panzerschreck, Flamethrowers etc and converting crew The postage to the UK is very low not sure about the rest of the world.
Truscott Trotter

Forgot about TAG their weapons n stuff are very cheap...unlike their gorgeous figures.
Contrarius

Post by Contrarius »

There are indeed plenty of German pio figures in 1/72, but they’re most not very useable for gaming Early War. Odd poses. No pioneer packs. No men using bayonets to search for mines, etc.. Specifically, few figures of German pios carrying the FW 35 model with its huge main bottle. This was the main version used Early War. I see, however there is one in a Revell 1/72 set, German Infantry 02502 which, perversely, is in Late War uniform.

Edit: Sorry, have wandered away rather from the original topic of this thread, which was FRENCH flamethrowers.