French Flamethrowers in WW2

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

poiter50

French Flamethrowers in WW2

Post by poiter50 »

Did the French use flame throwers in WW2? I'm seeing a distinct lack of them in 28mm figures for the French whether it be Metro France or the Colonies.

Also looking for suggestions as to how to make French engineering teams.

Truscott Trotter

Re: French Flamethrowers in WW2

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Not as far as I know
Did a bit of research fir a mate with a French army but couldn't find a 1940 use even though they used them in WWI.

Rusty made other French engineers by adding spades packs wire and German tellamines
Will see if he has any photos.

Rusty

Post by Rusty »

I take a photo tomorrow 26th April and post

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Need to host it somewhere mate I normally post it on the club site first.

gebhk

Post by gebhk »

Never considered this. Can't find any evidence of flame throwers in the basic structures or of any flame throwers being made designed/made after WW1. It seems the nearest the French came to thrown flame in WW2 were the approx. 130 incendiary grenades in an Infantry Regiment. FAA Miniatures produce a French man-portable FT in 1/72 - but I am beginning to think this is a piece of artistic license.....

Capt Fortier

Post by Capt Fortier »

I have found references to the French testing lance-flammes (flamethrowers) in 1937-38 as a weapon for fortifications; French orders in response to German use of flamethrowers; and tests of fortifications against flamethrowers - but nothing suggesting any active use of flamethrowers
Capt Fortier

“Un optimiste, c'est un homme qui plante deux glands et qui s'achète un hamac.” - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

Baldie

Post by Baldie »

Is it because they are an offensive weapon and they were geared up for more of a defensive war.
Interests

Getting slaughtered by a surprising amount of opponents.

andysyk

Post by andysyk »

No. Flamethrowers really wernt that prevalent in WW2 especially early war. The British didnt have them till 44 and then the things didnt work to well. The Japanese didnt use them much. The Italians had loads on paper but hardly used them. Even the US which was the biggest manpack user struggled with their use throughout the war. Apart from rare TOE listings and amphibious assaults they were generally a special request weapon that gathered dust in field depots. When maintened fueled properly and got into the right place they worked. But doing so seems to have been a constant problem. They are in manpack really a close assault weapon that needs a ton of support fire to get close enough to the enemy to employ.

Baldie

Post by Baldie »

I def would not have liked to be on either side of one
Interests

Getting slaughtered by a surprising amount of opponents.

andysyk

Post by andysyk »

Yep absolutely. Terryfing either way.