Polish Black Brigade 1939

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

jony663

Polish Black Brigade 1939

Post by jony663 »

There are a couple of unofficial OBs for a platoon for the Black Brigade. I am a little uncertain how best to paint the troops. Leather jackets look black to dark brown. Helmets are said to be green to khaki. Pants also look to be OD to khaki. Any thoughts on good sources?

gebhk

Re: Polish Black Brigade 1939

Post by gebhk »

Hi Jony663

Leather coats were black (and only worn by officers and some senior NCOs instead of greatcoats). Otherwise the uniforms were bog-standard khaki cavalry uniforms for all intents and purposes. Given the warm weather in September '39 I doubt leather coats or greatcoats were much in evidence in combat! Minor details included the replacement of spurs with metal ferrules and black berets instead of field caps.

If you can manage Polish, the best source is probably Vol 111 of the Wielki Leksykon Uzbrojenia: Umundurowanie polowe wojsk motorowych (2017).

OldNick

Post by OldNick »

Jony, could you please tell me where these organisation charts can be found.

jony663

Post by jony663 »

OldNick wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:22 am
Jony, could you please tell me where these organisation charts can be found.
They were found on the old Yahoo group. I have printouts but no links.

gebhk

Post by gebhk »

I too would be curious to see these charts....

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Presumably it would be based around a squadron like this?
https://wikivisually.com/wiki/10th_Moto ... e_(Poland)
Not sure how different they would be apart from trucks?
maybe slightly smaller sections?
I did see an OOB with sections of 10 men in 2 teams in Anatolis FoW September campaign

gebhk

Post by gebhk »

Platoon HQ
Platoon commander (Lt or 2nd Lt), motorcycle driver with Sokol 1000 (EM), batman (EM)
Platoon 2 i/c (plutonowy)
2 runners/observers (lance corps)
2 truck drivers (lance corps) with Praga RV (mainly) or Polski Fiat 621 trucks
2 truck driver's assistants (EM)

3 Sections ea:
Section leader (corp)
3 riflemen (EM)
BAR team leader (lance corp)
BAR gunner (EM)
2 BAR ammo numbers (EM)

Marksman section
Team leader (corp)
2 marksmen (lance corps)

The officer was equipped with his own, privately owned pistol and binoculars. BAR gunners had a BAR (rkm wz 28) and pistol. Everyone else had a carbine and bayonet. The whole BAR team would have BAR ammo pouches and carried their rifle ammo in their breadbags.

The marksmen were, at least in part, probably camouflaged AT rifle gunners. It is not clear if both were to receive AT rifles or one was to have the AT and the other a sniper rifle. In practice, as I recall, the brigade only got its AT rifles on or around day 10 of the campaign and only at the rate of two per squadron. There were, of course, no sniper rifles.
Last edited by gebhk on Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

7dot62mm

Post by 7dot62mm »

Thanks! I may one day get to play the Skirmish Campaigns Black Brigade book and this will be useful there.

gebhk

Post by gebhk »

Since I have the bumph to hand, here is the rest of the squadron:

Squadron HQ

CO and staff
CO (rotmistrz - cavalry equivalent of kapitan - captain); driver (lance corp) with Polski Fiat 508 Lazik; batman (EM)
Observer (lance corporal); Observer (EM); Despatch rider (corp) on solo motorcycle (most likely Sokol 600)

Scout section
Section leader (corp); Driver (lance corp) with 7-seater Polski Fiat 518 Lazik; 4 scouts (EM)

3 Line platoons as above

Machine gun platoon

HQ
Section leader (sergeant), Driver (EM) with Praga RV or Polski Fiat 621 truck; Driver's assistant (EM)

1st machine gun
Team leader (corp); gunner (lance corp) with ckm wz 30; loader (EM); 2 ammunition numbers (EM); assistant (EM)

2nd Machine gun
As 1st

[It is possible that by September 1939, (in the 24 Lancers, at least) the section received a second truck, but with no extra personnel]

Admin squad
Wachmistrz-szef (squadron sergeant-major, senior sergeant); admin/weapons and gas NCO (plutonowy); driver with Praga RV or Polski Fiat 621 truck (lance corp), driver's assistant (EM)
Equipment NCO - junior artisan (plutonowy); senior cook (lance corp); cook (EM); bootmaker (EM); tailor (EM); driver(lance corp) with Praga RV or Polski Fiat 621 with wz 31 (sam) kitchen trailer; driver's assistant (EM)

[On balance it seems likely that the trucks used by the line and MG platoons were Praga RV, while the admin section made do with the older Polski Fiat 621.]

Weapons
The CO was equipped with his own pistol and binoculars; lance corp observer likely had (in addition to his carbine and bayonet) binoculars and signalling pistol; EM observer may have had binoculars; scout section leader had a machine pistol (best guess: Suomi) and bayonet; squadron sergeant major, machine gun platoon leader, MG team leaders, gunners and loaders had pistols; medical NCOs and stretcher bearers had bayonets only. Otherwise a carbine and bayonet.

Hope this is of some use to someone.

jony663

Post by jony663 »

7dot62mm wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:49 pm
Thanks! I may one day get to play the Skirmish Campaigns Black Brigade book and this will be useful there.
I have that skirmish campaign and not pleased with the Polish OB. I would suggest using the one offered here.