Road to ....

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

George2591

Road to ....

Post by George2591 »

I am a bit unsure of tracked vehicles having to come on table from a road. If it is established that enemy are in the area, patrol phase, why would a tank stick to the road? Does anyone play differently?

Truscott Trotter

Re: Road to ....

Post by Truscott Trotter »

If there is no road then they may come on anywhere on your table edge.

Generally tanks kept to roads until within shooting range in large engagements but here we are talking of 1 or 2 afv's sent to support a platoon of infantry , either by design or accident.

Personally, although I play the rule as is, I do not see disregarding it to be a major issue.

Most AT weapons can cover the majority of the table easily unless it is very heavy terrain.

Greg Bradfield

Post by Greg Bradfield »

The RAW states you come on from where a road is present on your table edge and either on the road or between 4"and 9"dependent on troop quality. or then from anywhere on your table edge where no road is present.

Seret

Post by Seret »

Don't forget that you also don't have to enter on the road, just within 6" of the point the road enters the table. So coming on in a field next to the road is fine, and often makes life harder for any AT guns that might have put a JOP on the road hoping to get a shot along it. You can often tuck yourself behind cover, and even a change from a 5 to hit to 7 can make a big difference.

While tank units operating independently will often be going cross-country, the rule is intended to represent the armour being held at a point off-table and then brought up on the order of the local infantry commander. Remember the tanks are coming up a road that the infantry have already pushed up, so as far as they're concerned it's a secure route. Tanks only tended to go off road when they weren't sure the road was safe.

Allan JD

Post by Allan JD »

When I am setting up the terrain I aim to ensure that roads crossing the table do not have direct line of sight from one end to the other. I do appreciate that it is a bit of a contrivance but it does limit the ‘fast draw’ type engagements.

Truscott Trotter

Or you could send a fast wheeled vehucle ahead first...Soviets call it recon by fire....well burning anyway 😋

gebhk

Post by gebhk »

Isn't part of the problem that we are applying divisional-level planning to a situation which would never be planned in this way in real life - ie a platoon running more or less unpredictably/accidentally into an enemy platoon? There is little else to justify such proximity to the enemy at the outset of an engagement in modern warfare. For what it's worth IMHO, the scenario should dictate where tanks etc enter. If it's an ambush scenario then the road would be logical. If it is an attack in the midst of a wider battle, then the tanks would keep clear of the road.

Alternatively we can swing the realityometer a bit further towards 'game' (as opposed to recreation) end of the spectrum. Accept artificial constraints as part of that game and, incidentally, Allan's approach is then perfectly legit in my book if you play in this manner.

Nothing wrong with either approach in my opinion.

BaronVonWreckedoften

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

Sadly, it's a bit late for Bob and Bing to make a comeback.....
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

Truscott Trotter

BaronVonWreckedoften wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:11 pm
Sadly, it's a bit late for Bob and Bing to make a comeback.....
So if Rich is Bob and Nick is Bing....then who is Dorothy?

BaronVonWreckedoften

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

The one with all the friends, obviously.

Another role for Sid in drag, I guess.....make an amusing change to see "the boys" fighting over who doesn't get the girl!
No plan survives first contact with the dice.