Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Truscott Trotter

Re: Rolling 2s and 3s

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Nah its my typing skills thAt are craP

mgluteus

Post by mgluteus »

The original question made me think about a situation that had never occurred to me before! When I discovered miniature Wargames (mid-late 60's), most men around me had been in the military. This continued for years. As younger people entered the hobby the Veterans formed a cadre of military experience that could inform those without it.

Now I am seeing more and more gamers who have no idea of Squad/Division/ section/ etc. mean nor of military tactics and how they were used. Yet they want to play these games and welcome to them - they will be the generations that will keep the hobby going.

My point is that we may need a short primer as part of each set of rules that define, to them, the esoteric nomenclature and its reason d'etre and usage. Or, perhaps a stand alone primer available to the absolute beginners in Historical Miniature Wargaming. Any Volunteers?
Dick Bryant

Kustenjaeger

Post by Kustenjaeger »

Greetings

For CoC that’s on page 6 and referred to on page 4? Also the glossary (for section/squad and team).

Admittedly it does not place a platoon within the structure of larger formations.

Regards

Edward

Truscott Trotter

I can think of a 'volunteer' 😉
"All those with no writing for CoC to do take one step forward"
"Not so fast MLB!"
😂🤣😘

By the way if one more gamer mention 'factions' in WW2 gaming I am gonna scream

Capt Fortier

Post by Capt Fortier »

mgluteus wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:47 pm
... we may need a short primer as part of each set of rules that define, to them, the esoteric nomenclature and its reason d'etre and usage...
This does exist for CoC on the TFL Blog "Lard Island News", firstly in the form of an introductory Infantry Formations & Tactics in Chain of Command and then with a seven-part series on Talking Tactics. As someone relatively new to WWII, I found these invaluable and I think are exactly what you describe. The aim of reflecting tactical doctrine and practice within the rules is also one of the reasons why I think Too Fat Lardies' rule-sets work as well and have the following they do!
Capt Fortier

“Un optimiste, c'est un homme qui plante deux glands et qui s'achète un hamac.” - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

Truscott Trotter

Thanks Capn - had not seen the first one - of course the 7 part tactics articles are a bible for any aspiring CoCer - however am not sure it is suitable reading for a beginner - the first article you linked however is a great intro.

I was lucky enough to get a copy of the tactics manual when it was a single pdf

countsean

Post by countsean »

That list of dice roll options is super helpful, ill definitely use it.

I basically came here after first trying GF9s Tanks, then hearing about What a Tanker which had excellent more robust rules than Tanks, and after reading those rules I really wanted to incorporate AT guns and artillery and thats how I found this. Never bothered with Flames of War since the price plus confusing editions, extra supplements etc was making my head spin.

I am trying to put together some 15mm platoons based on Plastic Soldier Companies and have found the modeling aspect fun sometimes and also insanely frustrating. I spent 30 minutes trying to connect two pieces of tracks for a Sherman Firefly only to pretty much destroy it with superglue. The painting is fun although I havent tried painting infantry yet.

Neil Todd

Post by Neil Todd »

Truscott Trotter wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:04 pm

One of my biggest pet hates as well

BaronVonWreckedoften

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

Truscott Trotter wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:04 pm
Hereafter to be known as "the faction infraction"! 8-)
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

Peter

Post by Peter »

Arguably there were factions within the German military... I'll get my coat.