Rolling 2s and 3s

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

countsean

Rolling 2s and 3s

Post by countsean »

So ive been trying to wrap my head around the ruleset and I'm most confused with some terminology. Havent played any other mini wargames but when it comes to rolling a 2 and a 3 during your turn whats the primary difference?

What is the differen between sections, teams and squads? Is it just a nationality thing?

OldNick

Re: Rolling 2s and 3s

Post by OldNick »

Let's start with your second question.
Teams are a lower level grouping than squads, used where the tactical doctrine treated a small group separately from the rest of the squad on occasion. So, for example, where a British section in attack would throw out the Been gun team to a flank to provide suppressive fire while the rifle group approached the target, and then assaulted, that Bren gun group would be designated as a team.
On the other hand, if the use of the LMG was just to provide extra weight of fire to the riflemen, and basically to do what they do, it would be part of the squad, but not a separate team.

Now to 2s and 3s.
A squad is led by a junior leader (jl). The JL can move along with the squad, even if not specifically activated.
So, on a 2, the squad is activated and does the basic things a squad can do. Fundamentally it deploys, or moves, and it shoots. The junior goes along with it but does nothing specific.
On a 3 though, the JL takes the lead in the actions, and can either do specific things himself (such as removing points of shock), or can order the squad to do more specific things, (such as placing teams on overwatch). Under normal circumstances JLs can do two things each time they use a 3. Often national characteristics require a leader to cause them to happen.
So, in general an infantry squad may act under a 2 or a 3, but needs the 3 for more complex a tions driven by its JL.

A specific use of a 3 that may prevent it being used by an infantry JL is if you want to use a tank.a tank commander is a JL, so needs a 3, with this they can activate their gunner and or driver. A tank costs a lot of support points, and has a lot of firepower, so normally if you have a tank the first 3 will get assigned to the tank, and the infantry sections will be more likely to be acting under 2s.

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Just to add clarity (😉) the phrase section and squad are used interchangeably in the rules and is more a nationality thing squads for US section for Brits.etc.

Teams are sub-divisions of the section. Most sections have 2 teams but some nations have 1 team sections eg Soviets or Japanese.

Support weapons are also teams but not a section so they activate on a 1 but if they have a JL can activate him to give orders to the team on a 3. MMGs in support lists do not have JLs but guns do.

countsean

Post by countsean »

Much more clear! Thanks for the help.

Truscott Trotter

Glad to help, in my experience there are a few important rules concepts that are unique or rare and used in CoC , once they are mastered the rest is (relatively) straight forward.
FWIW my list (now to get MLB to write a one page example for each! )
1.) Setting up your forces - ie reading the force and support lists (already done by MLB)
2.) Using command initiatives and Activations Vs Non-Activations etc.
3.) Splitting of fire and causalities inc officers
4.) Shock effects (movements / Shooting etc) and removals
5.) Moral - Bad things happen table.

WillBailie

Post by WillBailie »

Hi, Countsean,

If it helps, this is my interpretation of what each result on a command die allows:

1 - any team can do one thing (move or shoot, most other things need a leader to give a specific order)
2 - any section/squad can do one thing (as above)
3 - junior leader (JL) can use his 2 command initiatives, can only order his own squad, weapon team or vehicle
4 - senior leader (SL) can use his 3 (or 2 if inferior) command initiatives, can order any friendly team or section in range, but not vehicles
5 - increment CoC score by one, each time you reach 6 you get one full CoC die (for immediate use or save for later)
6 - one is nothing, two is a double phase, three is a turn end and you go first in the next turn

7dot62mm

Post by 7dot62mm »

Sometimes you may want to use both a 2 and a 3 during a phase to activate the personnel of a single section. For example it may be advantageous to first activate the JL using a 3 and have him remove one or two points of Shock, or have the men throw a hand grenade. After that you can activate the section itself using a 2 and they will move or fire more efficiently.

MLB

Post by MLB »

Truscott Trotter wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:54 am
Glad to help, in my experience there are a few important rules concepts that are unique or rare and used in CoC , once they are mastered the rest is (relatively) straight forward.
FWIW my list (now to get MLB to write a one page example for each! )
1.) Setting up your forces - ie reading the force and support lists (already done by MLB)
2.) Using command initiatives and Activations Vs Non-Activations etc.
3.) Splitting of fire and causalities inc officers
4.) Shock effects (movements / Shooting etc) and removals
5.) Moral - Bad things happen table.
Don’t you just love being volunteered for a project LOL. Funnily enough I was just thinking about what other helpful pieces I could write and this is a very good list. Now that I’m so familiar with the rules it’s easy to forget how some of these rule concepts take a little time to fully understand.
The Tactical Painter https://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com
Painting little soldiers for tactical battles on the table top

Truscott Trotter

Was meant as complement to your writing....honestly :D
Happy to lend proofreading/editing skills if needed

MLB

Post by MLB »

Truscott Trotter wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:14 am
Was meant as complement to your writing....honestly :D
Happy to lend proofreading/editing skills if needed
Appreciate the compliment LOL although not the best advert for your proofreading skills 😂😂
The Tactical Painter https://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com
Painting little soldiers for tactical battles on the table top