Hyperthetical Fourth Afghan War, 1924 ish

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

jonrog1

Hyperthetical Fourth Afghan War, 1924 ish

Post by jonrog1 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:49 pm

Hi. had a Eureka moment when I realised with a bit of "creative jiggling" I could use two of my favourite ranges, Copplestone's "Back of Beyond" range and Empress Mini's "Jazz Age Imperialism" with a bit of tweaking. Time for some Inter War revival of the "Great Game" with the Bolsheviks agitating in Afghanistan against the forces of the Imperial Raj!

The key question is would I be able to transfer this slightly earlier timeframe to CoC. It's scale seems ideal to the type of skirmish engagements generally encountered on the Afghan/ Indian border at the time.

My concept is to propose a Soviet backed Afghan uprising as Lenin attempts to "Go East". This would mean more potential support for the Afghans, the Soviets even sending them ex Polish FT-17's they picked up in 1920, as well as on the spot "advisors". Hopefully it will add up to a more balanced game and a challenge for the Imperial Brits.

Looking at the lists for the Abyssinian uprising, the Eritrean and Somali Irregulars list looks as though it could form the basis of a suitable Afghan list, with a great take on tribal advantages and disadvantages. Any suggestions of breakdown for the Bolsheviks and Imperial Brits?

Many thanks guys for any insights or suggestions.

Jon

Levi the Ox

Re: Hyperthetical Fourth Afghan War, 1924 ish

Post by Levi the Ox » Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:20 pm

That sounds like a fun project! Chain of Command suits the Interwar period just fine!

The 2014 Winter Special has minor rules modifications for Chain of Command in the Great War era that should suit, as well as 1917 and 1918 British platoons. The Spanish Civil War lists could be used for Bolshevik revolutionaries. If you want to dig further look for information on British involvement in the Russian Civil War, as that's probably the closest equivalent forces you'll get.

We will follow your career with *great* interest...

jonrog1

Post by jonrog1 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:19 pm

Hi many thanks for the suggestions, especially using the Spanish list as a basis for the British and Imperial forces, will definitely explore that further. One source for this and indeed my inspiration for the ideas is Peter Hopkirk's "Setting the East Ablaze", a fascinating account of Lenin's attempts to expand the Soviet ideal east during the 1920's. The book explores the "Army of God" in detail in Chapter 8, revealing just how far the Bolsheviks were involved in attempting to agitate revolution in Afghanistan and Imperial India. Highly recommended.
Another book I want to read is "Churchill's Secret War with Lenin", analysing the Allies intervention in supporting the Whites, focussing on the Russian Civil War, nonetheless it should provide useful background detail.
Link
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=setting+th ... _sb_noss_1
Link:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Churchills-Sec ... 595&sr=8-1

jonrog1

Post by jonrog1 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:38 pm

The link to the Espania Coco list doesn't appear to be working, does anybody have an alternative link?

Cheers

Jon

Levi the Ox

Post by Levi the Ox » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:05 pm

jonrog1

Post by jonrog1 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:53 pm

thanks for that Levi.

Groupe_Franc

Post by Groupe_Franc » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:32 pm

The Summer 2010 Special has a couple of articles on similar matters. They're meant for M&B but might provide ideas and might even be capable of conversion to CoC. Good luck.

jonrog1

Post by jonrog1 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:57 pm

Thank you Franc, will follow up that valuable lead, looks like I'll be investing in a couple of Lardie specials in the immediate future, as well possibly a set of mud and blood to see if there's any potential crossover with CoC. Just need to get painting up the samples now.