New to COC

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

DougM

Re: New to COC

Post by DougM »

I base all my figures individually (28mm), except for prone weapons teams, then I add a micro dice frame to the base for them. Leaders in 28mm are pretty easy to distinguish so I don't do any special markers for them unless wounded. All figs are on 2p coins. (Post 1994 coins, so they can be stuck onto magnetic sheets in 4 ltr Really Useful Boxes for transport.)
---------------------------------------------
https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/
---------------------------------------------

Levi the Ox

Post by Levi the Ox »

The rules are written for individual figures, as combat and casualties are tracked individually, and units can split and form mid-game. However, some modest multi-basing will not get in the way of play, as the rules are not too specific about the location of individual models in a Team. All of the rifle-armed troops I've seen for Chain of Command are individually-based, although you could do a 1-2-3 scheme. Many folks will base weapon crews together, but it isn't strictly necessary. I do 2 figures for LMGs and equivalent, 3 for tripod mounts and guns, with the other crew separate carrying ammo boxes (this is the minimum number of crew to fight them without penalty).

In the army lists, special weapons are listed separately from the personnel that operate them. Crew-served weapons like "LMG", "bazooka/panzerschreck", "MMG/HMG", "Light Mortar" etc. will be accompanied by an entry for a number of crew and possibly accompanying riflemen, which is the number of figures operating that weapon. Single-use equipment like "panzerfaust", "compound charge", etc. won't have any crew, instead being carried by someone in the unit (usually a rifleman) until they are used.

Would strongly recommend using bases that can be held by a magnetic sheet for transport/organization.

Fairfax

Post by Fairfax »

I am a newbie and would appreciate some guidance on weapon crew numbers.

I am looking at starting with a French force from the Blitzkrieg handbook, but am a little confused by weapon crews.

On page 52 Support List Three shows the 60mm Brandt Mortar team with Junior leader and four crew. Does this mean five figures in total? I thought the 60mm Mortar was the equivalent of the British 2" which I understand only had two crew.

I see there is a 2" Mortar in the British list with two crew.

Similarly the Hotchkiss MMG team has five crew, why so many? Most figure manufacturers give the gun and three crew as a set.

Any clarification would be appreciated before I start ordering stuff.

Thanks in advance.
Keith

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Hi Keith, welcome to Chain of Command.

Weapon teams in the support lists follow a standard pattern by listing the weapon then the number of crew then state if a Junior Leader is present. The Brandt 60mm mortar therefore has 4 crew plus a Junior Leader so 5 figures in total.

The Brandt is a “proper” mortar with a larger crew and heavier shell than the British 2” mortar; it is not the equivalent weapon. As far as I recall all 60mm mortars have 5 crew, see the US list in the core rules for another example.

Most figure manufacturers provide unrealistically small crews for their MMGs. Historically the crews were quite large. 5 figures crew in CoC is a compromise but has the advantage of improving the resilience of the Team in game. A 3 figure team would be significantly easier to pin and break.

Most support weapons in CoC have 5 crew. The easiest option i find is to paint up a couple of spare kneeling infantrymen figures to supplement the crew supplied with the gun. These can be removed as casualties occur. They can also do double duty to add to the crew of other support weapons when needed.

Hope that helps,

John

Fairfax

Post by Fairfax »

Hi John

Not sure if my quick reply was posted..haven't been on the forum for a while.

Anyway, thanks for your very helpful reply which is much appreciated.

I now know what I need to buy.

Thanks again.

Cheers
Keith

genew49

Post by genew49 »

I use prone riflemen as well as kneeling to fill out crews. Some manufacturers i.e. AB offer squads/sections with prone and kneeling figures.

Fairfax

Post by Fairfax »

Thanks for the tip👍