New to COC

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Ram2354

New to COC

Post by Ram2354 »

Just started getting ready to base mini’s for German infantry, where does it say how many bases are in a platoon, and what do they consist of, kinda confusing? Under Appendix B, National Army Lists; Germany, It says squads one to three (does that mean there is 3 squads or there’s up to 3 squads? Under squads One to Three it states The Obergefreiter (Whatever that is) consists of a Junior leader with a machine pistol, one Panzerfaust (this is another crew member with the Panzerfaust or two members?). Then there’s a LMG team with 2 crew and 1 rifleman and 6 other riflemen. So that’s 6 bases for riflemen, 1 base with 2 crew and a rifleman, 1 Junior leader base and another 1 or 2 guys based with a panzerfaust? Sorry for being “too long in the birth canal” on this but if I understand who’s going where and on what before I get started then it should be easier with the other Nations etc. I hope. Thx in advance....

Truscott Trotter

Re: New to COC

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Welcome aboard
This should help
MLB has a link to article on page 1 of this post
https://toofatlardies.co.uk/forum/viewt ... =35&t=9725

Morgan

Post by Morgan »

MLB's article is indeed pretty useful. To try and answer some of your specific questions here:

- "Under Appendix B, National Army Lists; Germany, It says squads one to three (does that mean there is 3 squads or there’s up to 3 squads?"

That means that there are three squads, all of which are organised identically.

- "Under squads One to Three it states The Obergefreiter (Whatever that is) consists of a Junior leader with a machine pistol, one Panzerfaust (this is another crew member with the Panzerfaust or two members?)."

'Obergefreiter" is the name of the rank (equivalent to Lance Corporal, I think?) of the Junior Leader himself but that's just a bit of colour so doesn't matter for the purposes of the game's rules. So that whole box means: "The Obergefreiter (who is a Junior Leader) is armed with a machine pistol and also has possession of a Panzerfaust."

- "Then there’s a LMG team with 2 crew and 1 rifleman and 6 other riflemen."

Strictly speaking, there's an LMG Team (consisting of two guys working the LMG and an extra rifleman) and then there is a Rifle Team (consisting of six riflemen).

Hope that's of some use.
Use the Consolidated Arsenal! It's here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... E/htmlview

Morgan

Post by Morgan »

Just to add:
- In many lists in other places, the description of the German LMG Team is "3 crew" (and no rifleman). In other words, all three members of the team are fully occupied in serving the LMG and don't have time to fire their own personal weapon. I tend to go with the "3 crew, zero rifles-being-used" version as it just keeps things simpler but I understand that this didn't always reflect the historical reality on-the-ground.

- The panzerfaust, although "owned" by the JL, can actually be used by any member of the squad at his command (ie: by the JL using one of his Command Initiatives (CIs)). The models don't have to be adjacent to each other; as long as the JL is within 4" (or maybe 6"?) of the team, just assume that the model that needs to fire the panzerfaust has it handed to him at just the right moment.

Seret

Post by Seret »

Morgan wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:51 am
'Obergefreiter" is the name of the rank (equivalent to Lance Corporal, I think?)
An Obergefreiter was a squad leader, so more equivalent to a British/Empire corporal or a US/Soviet sergeant. These days it's only an OR-3 rank which isn't even an NCO in some armies, and is dished out purely based on time served. So it's kind of been downgraded since WW2. But back then he was doing the same job as CPL or SGT.

Morgan

Post by Morgan »

Educational! Ta :-)

OldNick

Post by OldNick »

As to bases, it's really up to you. Figures are what matter.

The tendancy is to single base figures, so that they sit freely on the terrain. However, particularly in 15mm I tend to base 2-3 man crews together n a sible base, and mark casualties using drop over plastic curtain rings. For 5 man teams, I tend to put 2 men and the crew served wepon on one base, and the remaining crew on a second base, again markinng losses with curtain rings.

SLs and JLs are single figures, with any commnd team members ignored below the abstraction layer of the game. However, it often helps to distinguish them, either by using a larger or different shapd base, or by modelling a small group representing toe (usually) 2 command actions of a JL or 3 of an SL. Again the effect of wounds to laders can be represented by removing these additonal marker figures from a sabot base, or again with a plastic curtain ring. These additional figures on leader bases have no in game effect except as counters.

SteveC

Post by SteveC »

I base my 20mm figs on 1p coins, JLs on 2p coins and SL on 20 x 40mm MDF bases. Teams go on 40 x 40mm MDF bases with 2 figs permanently fixed and any crew above that on 'standard' coin bases. MDF bases came from Minibits who also do a range of dice frames with dice to match which for CoC can be used for shock and casualties on teams where the base has more than 1 fig attached. The 6mm dice frames fit on their 10 x 20mm MDF bases, so are quite discrete and naturally, have uses for other rule systems.

Ram2354

Post by Ram2354 »

Thx all, I’ll muddle along and figure it out eventually, need to finish basing some stuff to get a few games going!

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

You can't go wrong if you base all the men Individually.
Reading the official FAQ would also help.
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=6191&sid=9e9760e54 ... 81ceb5233f