Covering Fire against troops in buildings

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

agentbalzac

Covering Fire against troops in buildings

Post by agentbalzac »

G'day folks,

We had a bit of a question for the hive mind arising from a game last night:

(Sorry if it's already been covered but the forum rejects the exact search phrase "covering fire" as containing too many common words!)

In our game a French infantry groupe (section) and an MMG team were in a stone farmhouse firing away from the top floor at some distant Grenadiers at effective range (i.e. normally hitting on 5-6). After some time the Germans put one of the opposing Grenadier squads onto covering fire, the 9" beaten zone covering the entire frontage of the building from which the French fire emanated. The MMG team kept up return fire, now hitting back on 6s, but the rifle section moved (over a couple of phases due to extremely crap 1 dice move rolls) to the opposite side of the building to deal with another German squad approaching round the rear of the building. There are no internal walls of the building.

RAW are thus:

4.5.4 Covering Fire: Only Leaders may instruct a Team or Section to put down Covering Fire. A Team giving Covering Fire will target a piece of terrain with 4” frontage or 9” frontage if the whole Section or Squad is firing. Any enemy forces moving, deploying or already in that area will fire with a -1 on dice rolled to hit due to the suppressing effect of this fire.

Covering Fire lasts until the end of the next Phase, whether that Phase is friendly or enemy. While giving Covering Fire, a Unit may do nothing else.

The question arose as to whether the French rifle section, having moved away from the windows which were under covering fire and turned their fire out of windows and doors facing in the opposite direction would still be subject to the +1 to hit penalty. We played that they were not (as the covering fire is really steady but not necessarily accurate fire designed to suppress those people shooting into it).

I guess it depends on how the term 'area' in the underlined sentence is interpreted. Does it have a depth effect as well as width? If so how much? Entire room? Some certain tabletop measurement behind the line of suppression?

Appreciate your thoughts. At all times trying to Play the Period of course. ;)

Truscott Trotter

Re: Covering Fire against troops in buildings

Post by Truscott Trotter »

FWIW I think you played it right.

Matt1066

Post by Matt1066 »

It might depend on the exact nature of the building, position of firers, windows, doors etc. But... at face value, it sounds like you did it right 😉
Thanks, Matt
The Wargames Table

siggian

Post by siggian »

I'd agree. Cover fire supposed to be against a point of terrain (although I allow it against a particular unit as well) and I'd say that cover fire does not apply if the terrain is out of LOS, which it would be in your case.

Seret

Post by Seret »

Definitely. Troops should only be affected by covering fire if its got a chance of actually hitting them!

Tomm

Post by Tomm »

I mean, in a wooden hut, I'd be inclined to think that covering fire might have some effect- lead flying through is flying through, but for simplicity sake, I think you need to treat it consistently, so, yes. Different chunk of building is not suppressed.

MLB

Post by MLB »

I would have played it the way you did. I see the covering fire as peppering the exterior of the building and the windows but, lucky shot aside, not penetrating into the building itself enough to have any real effect.

However you raise a good point and it begs the question how would this apply to units in an orchard or a grain field?
The Tactical Painter https://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com
Painting little soldiers for tactical battles on the table top

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Or behind linear obsticle?
Peronally would tend to go with the LOS blocking pricie above.

5-Cents

Post by 5-Cents »

My group has played covering fire being only along one wall of a building, so windows around a corner or on the other side would not be affected (effected?).

agentbalzac

Post by agentbalzac »

Thanks for the thoughts and opinions, folks. I'll take them back to my gaming group for discussion. :)