Tactical stance

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Madasaskaven

Tactical stance

Post by Madasaskaven »

So this came up in today’s game
I know you can move 1 d6 and remain in tactical stance. But what about activating a junior leader with 2 command initiatives. Uses the first to shoot, and the second then to put the firing unit on tactical. Sounds a bit cheese to me! Cos that’s like saying my first command I’m moving a normal move of 2d6 and then for my second initiative I’m ordering them to go on tactical. Are these legal?
You know when you just can’t find the answer your looking for in the rule book, you just got to ask some mates :D

JimLeCat

Re: Tactical stance

Post by JimLeCat »

No, you are right, you cannot shoot and go tactical in the same phase - see the list of possible unit actions in the bullet point on p.17.

Cheers,
Jim

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Thread on it here too - might give more info
https://toofatlardies.co.uk/forum/viewt ... t=tactical

Matt1066

Post by Matt1066 »

Generally, with the Lardy rules (indeed most war games rules, I find) if it sounds/feels a bit cheesy then it’s very likely against the intention of the rules.
Thanks, Matt
The Wargames Table

Erik A. Pulkka

Post by Erik A. Pulkka »

Question came up in our last game: Tactical Stance and Hard Cover vs Heavy Weapons that reduces Cover;

(I realize a unit can not have better that Hard Cover.) But;

A defending unit in Hard Cover and is in Tactical Stance; Then is fired on by enemy unit with heavy weapon that reduces cover by -1.

Does defending unit have Soft Cover? Or still Hard Cover, as it is also in a Tactical Stance?

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

It’s still Hard Cover. The Tactical stance cancels out the heavy weapon cover reduction.
There has been much debate about this in the past, but the conclusion was it was simplest to let the pluses and minuses cancel each other out then adjust the final cover by the outcome.
I think it is now in the FAQ.

John

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Yup it is in FAQ

Erik A. Pulkka

Post by Erik A. Pulkka »

Archdukek wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:37 pm
It’s still Hard Cover. The Tactical stance cancels out the heavy weapon cover reduction.
There has been much debate about this in the past, but the conclusion was it was simplest to let the pluses and minuses cancel each other out then adjust the final cover by the outcome.
I think it is now in the FAQ.

John
Thank you John, I appreciate the quick response. I had looked in the FAQ I've down loaded, but I must have missed it. I'll go double check it now.

Cheers,
Erik

Erik A. Pulkka

Post by Erik A. Pulkka »

I just looked through the FAQ again and bellow is all I found on Tactical Stance in Hard Cover. (Just FYI for everyone) Maybe this needs to be added too. Unless I still missed the bit again. I like your answer John, I think it makes the most sense over all. Thanks again.

"Q: Can you go tactical in hard cover, and if so, what effect does it have?
A: You can, but it won’t do you any good. Hard cover is as good as its gets."

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Hi Erik,
I think you have the older FAQ which did indeed say that. The latest November 2017 version is different. It should be stickied somewhere. You will find the answer on page 16, namely:

A: The answer here, after some reflection, is to add up all the plus factors in favour of the target and the subtract the negative factors in favour of the firer. So a target in light cover, with a gun shield and which is Tactical gets three “shifts” in its favour, whereas a gun firing HE gets one “shift” down, reducing cover by one level. As a result, the target counts as being in hard cover.”

John