Multiple Phases

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

john de terre neuve

Multiple Phases

Post by john de terre neuve »

Interesting discussion on FB with Rich weighing in.
Interestingly, we have a real split of opinion. Some people love it as it stands, some feel it needs curbing. In such a situation I feel that the only solution is to suggest an officially sanctioned alternative and let people choose.

My feeling is that a run of three phases is not excessive. By definition, a minimum of four of the D6 rolled in the first two phases must have been 6's, so those phases were relatively limited. The design intention of the multiple phases is that you do have a great opportunity, but that is at a relatively restricted point. You are certainly highly unlikely to be moving your whole force with just three Command Dice.

Based on the above, I suggested to a friend that after two phases where he rolled double 6, he then swapped one of his Command dice for a 'red dice', as per the 1940 Handbook. So that only counts for 1234 and we ignore 5 and 6. The player then continues to roll his hand with the red dice until he stops getting the next phase. At the point he reverts to his normal hand of five identical dice.

Some people have suggested that dice are simply removed from the hand. I'm not keen on that as I feel that is too much. Others have suggested that additional 'red dice' are added for subsequent rolls. Personally I think a little gut touch is sufficient. The chances of another phase drops significantly with just one red dice, but you can, of course, vary that as you wish.

I should state that I am personally happy with the dice as they stand but it's all about personal preference.

If you do try this method, I'd be interested in feedback.

More at https://www.facebook.com/groups/1444501242432741/

John

HaberDasher

Re: Multiple Phases

Post by HaberDasher »

At the club, when we roll double 6 (or trible etc.) we substitute a command die for a red die and ignores the 6 (dont think we ignore the 5, but i cant remember), should the regular dice roll double phase, we substitute another command die with a red die. We feel it is good way to go as there are a chance for the third phase, also it makes opposing a 6 command dice platoon more fun (though such games happens rarely these days).

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

I like our house rule better than taking dice away.

We still keep the initiative but stop the wall of endless
(WoES) shooting issue.

DougM

Post by DougM »

What's your house rule TT? I have not really had a problem with multiple phases, but if I was playing a lengthy campaign, and there was a series of freaky dice rolls that effectively decided the campaign, I might feel differently.
---------------------------------------------
https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/

siggian

Post by siggian »

I believe that TT's solution was that a unit can only shoot once, no matter how many phases you have in your run.

Truscott Trotter

Correct.

So removing shock, movement and assaults are OK.
It sounds too simple but when we tried it it seemed to work the closest to the exisiting rules.

It also resets at turn end so if someone rolls triple 6 or plays a CoC die it goes to normal.

So last game my opponent rolled 4 doubles in a row inc a triple so he got to fire twice.

DougM

Post by DougM »

Thanks

PS. I'd float test his dice too... there's a significant criminal element in Australia you know :)
https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/

Truscott Trotter

DougM wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:21 pm
Thanks

PS. I'd float test his dice too... there's a significant criminal element in Australia you know :)
If it was any other opponent I would've! :lol:
A t least I didn't cop 5 turns of fire in a row :roll:

Contrarius

Post by Contrarius »

In my last game, one side had two triple phases in a row which halted the German assault in its tracks and destroyed their lead section. A few phases later, with their MG34s and senior leaders in place, the Germans got a triple phase, which effectively won them the game. :oops:

I was playing my house rule of removing one dice per subsequent phase (so only three dice in the third phase) yet the multiple phases STILL seemed overpowered. I’m all for randomness, but these wild swings tend to decide the outcome of the game regardless of any tactical prowess on the part of the players. Perhaps that is indeed historical, chance playing such a major role in combat, but as a game of skill I found it deeply unsatisfying.

Think I’ll have to try TT’s house rule of only being able to shoot once unless there’s a turn end (on a triple six or CoC die). It also creates another use for CoC dice — in my last few games the winning side has usually ended with several of these unused.

john de terre neuve

Post by john de terre neuve »

I agree that I like TT's solution a little more. WE tried it in our last game and we had no complaint.