CoC scenarios & adaptions for solo wargaming?

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Contrarius

CoC scenarios & adaptions for solo wargaming?

Post by Contrarius » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:33 am

Don’t know if this has been touched on before but are there any CoC scenarios that would work well as solo games? Anyone figured any rules for a programmed opponent?

I imagine some kind of offensive game against a relatively fixed opponent would be the easiest to set up. Or maybe the reverse — defence against an opponent attacking randomly in waves?

:ugeek:

7dot62mm

Re: CoC scenarios & adaptions for solo wargaming?

Post by 7dot62mm » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:53 am

Lardies have something called Platoon Forward which is made for solo wargaming. It should be fairly well usable with CoC. You position blinds on the battlefield and as the play progresses you use random generation tables with which you generate the opposition, e.g. anti-tank gun, and then you select the most likely or the one you have a model for.

Munin

Post by Munin » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:20 pm

CoC is already set up really well for solo gaming as-is. The patrol phase is a little harder to do solo, but the rest of the game is really good for it. It's the only game I've ever played where I have been able to ambush myself and legitimately be surprised.

DougM

Post by DougM » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:07 am

The one thing that is difficult solo is surprising yourself with support options... I offered on the mailing list to do remote support option choices, but the response was underwhelming, so maybe there isn't the demand.

I'm always put off solo gaming, largely because my wife thinks playing with toy soldiers is tragic enough, without playing with yourself with toy soldiers.
---------------------------------------------
https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/
---------------------------------------------

Munin

Post by Munin » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:43 pm

A couple of good methods are to either get a tactically minded friend to choose for you via e-mail (I have a buddy who loves doing this - I describe the scenario, general terrain layout, and his objectives and he picks support choices) or make a table and randomize. You won't be surprised in-game, but both methods have led me to considerable conundrums (like when my opponent selected an armored car and I had no ATR).

Contrarius

Post by Contrarius » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:37 pm

7dot62mm wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:53 am
Lardies have something called Platoon Forward which is made for solo wargaming. It should be fairly well usable with CoC. You position blinds on the battlefield and as the play progresses you use random generation tables with which you generate the opposition, e.g. anti-tank gun, and then you select the most likely or the one you have a model for.
That looks seriously interesting. Could be exactly what I was looking for. Many thanks for the suggestion!

Played a solo game of CoC yesterday with mostly standard rules and I see it does indeed have a great deal of ramdomness and surprise built in. You may know what forces both sides have at hand but you never know exactly where they will deploy.
You can advance in strength and then find the nominally weaker enemy gets two consecutive triple phases of play, which is enough to scupper the best laid plans. Perhaps the random tables in Platoon Forward will provide the additional layer of uncertainty and complexity that I’m looking for.

Contrarius

Post by Contrarius » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:55 pm

DougM wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:07 am
I'm always put off solo gaming, largely because my wife thinks playing with toy soldiers is tragic enough, without playing with yourself with toy soldiers.
I live in the middle of nowhere, so difficult to find live opponents. My wife has very little knowledge or grasp of my interest in figure gaming. In truth solo gaming does seem a little sad, but no more than playing video games.