Questions on "Pinned"

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Nick B

Questions on "Pinned"

Post by Nick B »

A couple of questions on Pinned status:

1. Are AVFs pinned if caught in a barrage? We presumed not but they can take shock and it does not seem clearly defined in the description under barrage rules. Aware you roll for potential damage.

2. When pinned you cannot move. We felt it was odd that infantry couldn't attempt to move back into better cover or out of the line of fire (presuming you reduce shock enough to get some movement from the dice). Are we missing something or do you house rule this differently?

Many thanks :D

Capt Fortier

Re: Questions on "Pinned"

Post by Capt Fortier »

Nick B wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:18 pm
1. Are AVFs pinned if caught in a barrage? We presumed not but they can take shock and it does not seem clearly defined in the description under barrage rules. Aware you roll for potential damage.
My understanding is everything under a barrage is pinned - from p. 19 of the FAQ:
Q: Are all troops and vehicles under a barrage pinned, or is it just infantry?
A: All troops and all vehicles
Capt Fortier

“Un optimiste, c'est un homme qui plante deux glands et qui s'achète un hamac.” - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Sometimes tanks did deliberately stay under a barrage but it was purely optional not a reaction to the mortar rounds.

The normal reaction was the same as infantry caught in the open....move out of the beaten zone PDQ.

Getting a track damaged by an artillery round was deadly for a tank as an immobile tank is usually a dead one soon after.

George2591

Post by George2591 »

Surprised at the 'silence' on this one. Once you get enough shock to be pinned but not broken it is very difficult to almost impossible to take enough off to get out of harms way, which as TT says is the normal reaction.

Peter

Post by Peter »

I can see both sides of the question. I generally think shock, or pinning, should still allow backward movement at full speed. There is a case to be made that if pinned and you move back it should be considered as a bad thing.
Being under a barrage is a bit different. I'd allow movement in any direction, but a team moving should probably take hits.
However I don't play enough to play test this in any sensible way, so will continue with RAW.

Peter

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Well we have been playtesting various methods for over 12 months. If you would like a copy of our latest rule mods PM me.
We are happy with them now

BillySteph

Post by BillySteph »

So no clear answer to this one re tanks being pinned in a barrage usually mortar, personally I doubt any tank commander unless told to would sit still under barrage, unless in some sort of ambush position. even then they may elect to shift thinking they may have been spotted. I can understand infantry going to ground but crewed tanks not so sure.

Levi the Ox

Post by Levi the Ox »

I'm surprised at that FAQ entry, and will almost certainly disregard it, at least for AFVs. Pinned infantry are deriving protection from their posture, and any movement would compromise that protection, but a vehicle can't "hug the dirt" in place like a person can. The amount of repositioning a vehicle would need to do to seek meaningful cover would probably take it outside of the barrage anyway, so it makes more sense to me to just allow them to move normally.