Targeting Tanks with ATG's of Bazookas

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Slynx

Targeting Tanks with ATG's of Bazookas

Post by Slynx » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:30 pm

We had a question come up the other night around targeting enemy tanks when there is intervening enemy infantry between them

Typically if an infantry team is say 6" in front of another infantry team, you have to shoot at the first team. If a AT Gun wants to target an enemy tank, but there is an enemy infantry team in front can it do so or does it have to clear out the infantry from the line of fire first. This question also applies if the ATG was a Bazooka team instead. Basically is their a way that infantry can do their job in assisting the tanks to their targets from enemy infantry

Vehicles seem to be quite vulnerable and the question is to find out if the use of infantry as a screen can assist in getting the vehicle into position

I'm not advocating any rules changes, just the observations we have had so far, and after all this is an infantry game. ie in our last game a Sherman was placed on the table. The German responded by deploying a Panzerschrek team and then shooting at an obscured target in the 4th range band. needed a 10+ to hit ... hit and then got 9 hits out of 13 which brewed the Sherman up. I can't think of anything more to safeguard the sherman other then to completely block LoS with smoke before deploying it.

Truscott Trotter

Re: Targeting Tanks with ATG's of Bazookas

Post by Truscott Trotter » Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:01 am

No enemy infantry does not block LOS / LOF.

The best thing you can do is target likely enemy deployment sites with covering fire.
Have some troops on opportunity fire
Maybe deploy some screening smoke for first deployment turn.

Personally I consider AFV's a lialiability rather than an asset considering you are likely to lose a JL as well as a support team when it brews up.

DougM

Post by DougM » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:50 am

That's just pure bad luck, but then it's an infantry game, and tanks should be vulnerable to infantry AT weapons in late war.
---------------------------------------------
https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/

chris cornwell

Post by chris cornwell » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:09 am

[quote="Truscott Trotter" post_id=80962 time=1578099663
Personally I consider AFV's a lialiability rather than an asset considering you are likely to lose a JL as well as a support team when it brews up.
[/quote]

Quite.

In reference to the original question, why would an anti tank gunner care if he hit some enemy infantry?

OldNick

Post by OldNick » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:45 am

I think there is a fundamental misunderstanding of the role of infantry in protecting armour in the original question.

Infantry do not protect armour by providing a preferable target to shoot at than the armour.

Infantry protect armour by their positive actions. They observe the enemy. They keep enemy infantry away from the armour. They suppress infantry and anti tank weapons that would fire on the armour.

Slynx

Post by Slynx » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:52 am

Thanks for the replys.

I also agree about AFV's being more of a liability (especially against the Germans as their infantry AT capability is so good), and I agree that this is primarily an infantry game. But in this game I was the umpire. Theirs not much more that could have been done for the Sherman, and the Germans were pretty lucky with the initial Hit followed up by the sheer number of penetrations

Any advice on how to use armour (half tracks and light tanks) to get the best of them ..... without loseing them within the first phase or so?

Munin

Post by Munin » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:46 pm

Avoid being in the open pretty much at all costs if it can be helped. Late in the war, the key to survival in a tank was not being seen, as if AT weapons didn't get you, aircraft would. Make sure your opponent is rolling for that 9+ to hit you, as that greatly increases your chances of survival.

Or, failing that, play early war scenarios, where tanks are really difficult for infantry to handle because man-portable rocket-powered AT weapons hadn't yet been invented.

Seret

Post by Seret » Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:06 pm

Slynx wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:30 pm
If a AT Gun wants to target an enemy tank, but there is an enemy infantry team in front can it do so
Yes. Check 11.7. Vehicle guns are counted as being at a higher level than troops on foot.

Even if they were on the same level, the AT gun could just shoot right through the infantry. It's an artillery piece, you can't block its shots with a squishy bag of meat.
Slynx wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:52 am
especially against the Germans as their infantry AT capability is so good
One thing you might want to do if you're using the lists from the rulebook is drop the panzerschrecks from the default platoon. They were a regimental asset that was used in teams. Basically they were treated like AT guns. If you want one, buy it off the support list.

They've still got their panzerfausts though, so YMMV.

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:56 am

Congratulations on 6 months of spam MackieU

DougM

Post by DougM » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:35 am

This spamming thing is getting really tedious. I'd be quite happy to have to recreate the account, or change something or whatever, it gets annoying when I see there have been new posts and it turns out to be the same old spam.
https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/