Target Definition

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Atkins

Target Definition

Post by Atkins »

Hi

Just to be clear in my own mind, 8.3 Defines Targets, and it appears to me, all other things being equal, a chain of targets as long any unit is within 4" of another, counts.I had read it to mean that one declares the tgt unit, and any within 4" of that unit counted.

Thanks

Atkins

DougM

Re: Target Definition

Post by DougM »

You state what unit/team you are shooting at, and anything within 4" of that target share the hits.
---------------------------------------------
https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/
---------------------------------------------

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

As Doug says you need to declare your target team and only teams within 4” of that target can receive hits. It isn’t a daisy chain effect.

In theory, as per 8.3, you could have each figure in your squad fire at a different target team and that might spread the fire across a greater number of teams. However, such dissipation of fire would be counter-productive and contrary to the troops training and practice.

John

Dbsubashi

Post by Dbsubashi »

Additionally, only teams that can be seen share hits. As an example if a squad is running between buildings and the unit shooting can only see one team (the other having not rolled high enough to expose themselves) hits will not be shared. RAW models block line of sight as well. If my Russians deploy for a wave attack, shoulder to shoulder, the leading squad will probably block LoS to the squads behind them. Therefore only the leading squad will take hits, even if the following squad(s) are within 4”. This is important, as it stops a player from say, deploying his entire platoon and supports into say a 6” x 6” area, shoulder to shoulder, and claiming hits disperse through the entire platoon, even though only a single squad can be seen.

Atkins

Post by Atkins »

Thanks for that.

Slynx

Post by Slynx »

I'm not sure that I agree with the statement:
"Therefore only the leading squad will take hits, even if the following squad(s) are within 4”. This is important, as it stops a player from say, deploying his entire platoon and supports into say a 6” x 6” area, shoulder to shoulder, and claiming hits disperse through the entire platoon"

If their within 4" I think they will still be hit, theirs many reasons not to deploy into a 6" x 6" square (so the situation was theoretical to prove a point). I would agree that if a team was blocked LoS from smoke/cover, but not just by definition of being behind another squad. Otherwise you could start lining a squad up single file and say you cant see the 2nd team as their behind the first team so you cant shoot or allocate hits to it.

Peter

Post by Peter »

Agreed. As stated in another current post, enemy troops don't block line of sight.
One of the things Coc doesn't consider is dense targets (except for mortar bombardments). If played reasonably (play the period etc) it's not an issue.

Peter