Questions about medium obstacles and shock

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

iwoulike2rage

Questions about medium obstacles and shock

Post by iwoulike2rage »

Hi guys, I’m trying to figure out how to handle crossing medium obstacles when shock is involved.

Q1. When you try to cross a medium obstacle you drop the lowest of 2xD6s, do you also remove pips from the lower dice per point of shock?

Q2. How can a section with 6 points of shock ever cross a medium obstacle if Q1 applies?

Q3. Can a section always cross a medium obstacle as long as it’s adjacent to it at the start of the phase?

Q4. If the answer to Q3 is no, how come crossing a major obstacle is always a guarantee no matter the shock?

Thanks,

P.Y.

Seret

Re: Questions about medium obstacles and shock

Post by Seret »

1. Yes
  2. It can't
  3. Only if it manages to get at least 1" of movement
  4. It's not!
Units with lots of shock can become effectively immobile before they actually become pinned. It's a good idea to get out early if you're losing a firefight, as once the shock starts to pile up you can become stuck.

Bear in mind though that loss of movement applies per team (if you have teams) . So if a section has six shock by its 2 on one team and 4 on the other then both teams might still be able to move.

iwoulike2rage

Post by iwoulike2rage »

Thanks for the clarification, I'm still puzzled about Q4.
The rules say:
Major obstacles: Obstacles over chest height, or
thick bocage hedges may be crossed by a Unit
which starts the Phase adjacent to the obstacle.
It will take the whole Phase to cross, the figures
being placed directly on the other side of the
obstacle. This will count as Normal movement
(no Tactical or moving “At the Double” allowed).
Doesn't this mean that whatever the shock you will be able to cross a major obstacle as long as you start the phase adjacent to it?

mgluteus

Post by mgluteus »

I don't think of movement with shock as 'normal' movement. So a unit with shock cannot use this rule!
Dick Bryant

Seret

Post by Seret »

mgluteus wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:32 pm
I don't think of movement with shock as 'normal' movement. So a unit with shock cannot use this rule!
Dick Bryant
By "normal movement" it means moving at 2d6. You can make a "normal" move with shock on the unit.

It's an interesting question though. Since you don't actually need to roll to cross a major obstacle, how do you represent the effect of shock? To me it seems weird that a bigger obstacle would be easier for a disordered unit to cross than a lower one, but if you apply RAW, that's what you'd get. Another example of why RAW is often not the right answer...

What I'd suggest is rolling the same way as for a medium obstacle and subtracting your shock as normal. If you manage to move 1" or more, you've made it over the major obstacle.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

I take a different view to Andy (Seret) and Dick. My reading of the rules is that the loss of the movement dice is the only penalty for crossing an obstacle. Surrender the relevant dice and you are on the other side, you don’t need additional movement for that. Shock is only relevant if you need to move to or away from the obstacle As part of the overall action when it’s deducted from the remaining movement dice.

So in your example, a team with 6 Shock can still cross a medium obstacle it is adjacent to but can’t move otherwise before or after. A team with Shock can still cross a major obstacle by surrendering both movement dice.

That approach seems to me to be consistent with RAW and avoids the problem Seret refers too.

John

iwoulike2rage

Post by iwoulike2rage »

Thanks John, I’m leaning towards your view.

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

What about moving to the obsticle?

So you normally can move to and across a medium obsticle, if you have sufficient dice.

I think you have to count the shock when moving at all times.

I have to agree with Serets answers.
If a team has 6 shock it is not crossing an obsticle until you remove the shock....it is cowering behind it! :lol:

Just to be clear if you have 2 teams in a section 1 with 4 shock and 1 with 2 shock when they move as a section one team moves at -4 and the other at -2 not whole section at -6

iwoulike2rage

Post by iwoulike2rage »

I do agree that getting to the wall is an issue with significant amount of shock, but I think crossing a medium obstacle should be allowed if crossing a major obstacle is not affected by shock.

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Yes that would be logical..

So you do count shock if you can move to and over wall but if not you have to move up to wall and use whole phase to cross or do you allow movement on the other side (allowing for shock)? Ala Archduke?